First Half Marathon -- DONE!

Options
Hello all,

Yesterday I completed my very first half marathon. My official chip time was 2:42:08! I was very excited and proud. I am not a very "fast" runner so I was aiming for a 2:36-2:45 finish time.. And I did it!

This is special to me because at my heaviest I weighed 265 lbs. I never thought this would have been possible. Feel free to read my latest blog for more details/info....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Lisamarie1226

Thanks to MFP, all my wonderful and supportive MFP friends, and the motivating and inspiring people on this site. I couldn't have done it without all the support & encouragement I've encountered!!!

Replies

• buttecreekwoody
    Options
    Congratulations! I finished my first 1/2 marathon on March 5th. Just about the same pace! Keep it up! Now that you've conquered this mountain....what next?
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    OK I've been trying to comment but it isn't working so if this shows up 3x I apologize.

WOW! Congrats on the half marathon and the amazing weight loss!!
  • amo13
    amo13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! That's AWESOME!
  • momofcole
    momofcole Posts: 18
    Options
    WTG! That is awesome!!! I really want to do one, I started running a few years ago but the furthest I've run is a 10K. My knees have prevented me from doing more. Have you had any knee troubles as you've trained to go this distance?
  • abaljack
    abaljack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your journey seems to have been quite amazing and successful! I have gone from fatty to athlete back to fatty (trying to get back to athlete)! Looking to do a half-marathon this year, so I appreciate your inspirational story! Congrats!!!!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That IS a fast time to a lot of runners...that is my average lap pace as well so I am hoping to finish my first half marathon (april 17) around the same time, great job!!!
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    Congrats! I am training to run my first 1/2 on May 1. I have a 2 hour 45 min. goal. I am getting nervous because I am not where I should be training wise. I have been sick and have not ran in over a week. I am hoping tomorrow I will be up for it. So far my longest run has been 5 miles. I have 33 days to go and I need to get up to 10 miles at least. UGHH. How much walking did you do? I am thinking about running 2 miles and then walking a mile.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    <3 TEEHEE!!!!! *BLUSH* *WINK-WINK* <3 LOL
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT LISA IS MY BIGGEST INSPIRATION HERE!!!! SHE IS AMAZING AND I AM GENUINELY PROUD OF HER!!! XOXOXOXOXOX
  • joannewhittleton
    joannewhittleton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Having run 2 1/2's in the past, I can truly appreciate all your hard work and determination. You should be extremely proud of your accomplishment. You've earned braggin' rights for life on that one. Keep on truckin'.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That is AMAZING!!!! Good for you!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I finished my first 1/2 marathon on March 5th. Just about the same pace! Keep it up! Now that you've conquered this mountain....what next?

Thank you!

I honestly wish I would have progressed from a 5k to a 10 or 15k and THEN the half. I really want to do some 10 & 15ks. But my boyfriend really wants me to do another half in November. My reasoning for 10 & 15ks is to gain more confidence on those types of runs so that I can improve if, and when, I decide on another half! BF thinks that having a half under my belt means I'm above anything less....Boys ;-)

I DO know without a doubt, that I'm happy with half marathons! I never had the desire to do a full marathon, so if that's what you mean by "what's next?", there ya go!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Options
    Congrats! I am training to run my first 1/2 on May 1. I have a 2 hour 45 min. goal. I am getting nervous because I am not where I should be training wise. I have been sick and have not ran in over a week. I am hoping tomorrow I will be up for it. So far my longest run has been 5 miles. I have 33 days to go and I need to get up to 10 miles at least. UGHH. How much walking did you do? I am thinking about running 2 miles and then walking a mile.

If you have 33 days to go and you are up to 5 miles, that's not bad at all. Are you on a training program? I just googled "half marathon training" and looked through a few. You do need to build up to some longer endurance runs.

I really didn't have a specific strategy! Any time I ran/jogged for at least 5 or 6 miles, my goal was to jog for at least 30 minutes straight. I ended up jogging for over 40 minutes straight yesterday...because of the adrenaline and the energy of the people around me. I listened to my body and stopped for a break when I needed it. Usually for a minute or a minute and a half. Any longer than that (for ME anyway) and I knew it would be hard for me to start jogging again. Sometimes I'd pick a landmark -- like a street light or stop sign and I'd walk until I reached it and then started slowly jogging again until I got to my steady pace.

Even if you aren't fully prepared, just go out there and do your best. You will be amazing and surprised at what your body can handle.

Best of luck to you!!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Options
    WTG! That is awesome!!! I really want to do one, I started running a few years ago but the furthest I've run is a 10K. My knees have prevented me from doing more. Have you had any knee troubles as you've trained to go this distance?

Actually I haven't had any knee problems. I'm not an expert, but I credit it to the type of cross training I do. I attend a body works class at my gym (it's a toning & sculpting class --so we work upper body and lower body at the same time --think squats and lunges with hand weights) twice a week and I think that strength training helped me. I also do spin class, and alternate between the elliptical, treadmill & stair machine.

Running outside helps because you have to get used to something other than the treadmill. I would stick to trails -- if it was concrete, I would run a bit on the grass/dirt paths.

My problems were with my legs/calves. I cramped up a bit. Had stomach cramps too.

Good luck to you!
  • mruiz22
    mruiz22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's awesome.. I'm currently training to do the Heels and Hills Half Marathon in Las Colinas on May 1. Are you running this one? This will be my first Half as well and I'm super excited. Keep up the good work...
  • Aninha_PP
    Aninha_PP Posts: 32
    Options
    My *dream*!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I was there too, but I did the Relay. You've inspired me to try a half by myself. :)
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Lisa, you are DA BOMB!!!! So inspiring!! Keep up the great work!! Glad to have you as one of my friends!!!!!!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Options
    That's awesome.. I'm currently training to do the Heels and Hills Half Marathon in Las Colinas on May 1. Are you running this one? This will be my first Half as well and I'm super excited. Keep up the good work...

Good luck to you & have fun! Nope, not doing the one on May 1....too close to the one I just finished ;-)

Might do the RnR in San Antonio in November!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!