protein?

Options
i seem to be quite over in my protein today as my 1st day?? any ideas?

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you eating? And what are your goals?
  • ashey1
    ashey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    says daily got 47 and i had 98?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm not sure how MFP works, but 98 grams seems very reasonable to me. 40 some seems very low. Do you mind telling me how much you weigh?
  • ashey1
    Options
    i am 10.11 and 5foot 6
  • skinneemee79
    skinneemee79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know that the website has an amount they want you to stay within...but I always read that protein was fantastic for weight loss and actually helps aid in weight loss as long as it is lean. I try to watch my fat and carbs and stay within the allowed amount, but I do not worry about my protein. I don't understand why it's limited, but I am not an expert by any means, just read A LOT! Maybe someone else has an answer as to why you should and can enlighten us!
  • ashey1
    Options
    tks its seems the beef i had for dinner was high but i could only find asda silverside wen really mine was butchers with all the fat trimmed off so mayb be ok..
  • stroutman81
    Options
    i am 10.11 and 5foot 6

Okay, assuming you're talking in stones here, which translates to 141 lbs. 141 lbs = 64 kg. The RDA suggests an intake of .8 grams per kg of body weight, which would total 51 grams, which is close to the target mfp is giving you. I'm guessing that's what they're basing their recommendations on.

Personally I believe the RDA recommended intake is based on very outdated research. Depending on how you're exercising and how you're dieting, I'd say anywhere from .8-1.5 grams per pound of goal body weight would be optimal.
  • Levinaris
    Options
    I've always read and have been told by my trainer that you want to be at roughly 1g of protein for every 2 pounds you weigh.

So, at 140 pounds, shoot for 70g of protein. More can be fine. The danger of too much is Ketosis, although you would have to go really far over this amount for that to matter.

Edit:
    As Steve corrected.. I was confusing Ketosis with Ketoacidosis. It can occur from too few Carbs. My confusion came in part from my past research of increasing my caloric intake to be primarily from protein, and the expense of carbs. If you cut enough carbs to increase protein intake, this may become a concern...
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can change the target percentages of your calories under "goals". MFP's default setting is low on protein. I changed mine and upped protein to 25% (that's just about 95g), which I usually don't reach, and reduced carbs to 45%, which I sometimes go slightly over. It's also ok to vary macronutrient composition from day to day. Indeed, to get all the right micronutrients it's a good thing to vary what you eat! Some minerals and vitamins are in one type of food and others in another type of food. You don't have to hit all numbers the SAME day.

Also, if you're consistently over on carbs or fat (by a lot, like 1.5 or 2 times the number) I'd start to troubleshoot your food intake, but protein is quite harmless to go over within reason. It'll keep you fuller, too, and will help if you're doing resistance training.
  • ashey1
    Options
    tks soooooo much for the replys!!! im still finding my feet on here lol!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I've always read and have been told by my trainer that you want to be at roughly 1g of protein for every 2 pounds you weigh.

That's somewhat better than the RDA recommendations which is based on 30 year old research. However, I'd still say the optimal intake is higher for most folks.
    The danger of too much is Ketosis, although you would have to go really far over this amount for that to matter.

And I think you're a bit confused here. Ketosis has to do with an abundance of ketone bodies in the bloodstream which occurs in response to low carbohydrate/glycogen stores. And ketosis is not dangerous. It sounds to me like you're confusing it with ketoacidosis.
  • Levinaris
    Options
    Touche! Thank you for the correction.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    its better to get too much protein than too little.
    If youre exercising then its good to go over your protein recommendations.