Feeling stuck...

Options
I don't know what to do anymore. The first week I joined I lost about 3 pounds. The last month I have stayed exactly where I am. I have noticed a lot more muscle tone though, which I know is half my battle because I really don't have much weight to lose. Still I wanted to lose about 10 pounds of fat but keep my build and just tone it up. (I am 5'7, weigh 150 and wear a size 4-6) But everytime I weigh myself I am hoping to see the number go down but it doesn't. Is it possible that I won't really lose anymore weight, but that I will continue to build muscle in which means that I am losing the fat? I just don't want to start feeling bad about myself about not losing weight. The scale has always been my enemy so usually I go by how my clothes fit, but I decided to try the scale again and now I feel that I am stuck....

Replies

• zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The scale is not the perfect measurement of weight loss success. Ultimately over months it is, but not over weeks and days. Have you tried taking your measurements weekly? This is also a good measure of weight loss and muscle toning.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    At the weight/size you are at there are a couple of things you should note (from the brain of a weightloss geek :smile: )

~Ditch the scale. Seriously- you don't need it. You are better than it. It will bring you nothing but grief and strife. If anything, toning (in a size 4-6) may make you gain a smidge of weight. Turn your focus from that useless, slave driving, arbitrary number to which we have been convinced to store meaning in and start finding other goals to celebrate and zone in on.
    ~Workout goals- Choose workouts that you love- run or race, or swim, or dance. Find something that you can have a physical passion about and a desire to excel in (and 'excel' doesnt have to be competative- just finding a workout/accomplishment that makes you feel good).

~Nutritional Goals- Trying and finding new things too cook or eat, getting in all your food groups. Eating the best you can - and not just to a calorie goal--is a HUGE challenge. Try to focus on getting all your veggies or cutting down your processed foods.

~BALANCE in your workouts- Strength/toning, cardio- both have great benefits. Try to get a healthy dose of each.

~You should be running a very minimal deficit at this point- your body has a minimal amount of body fat at this point and is afraid of losing it's emergency store. You should be eating 1300(or more) cals + anything you burn in exercise. The weight will come off slowly- if you want it to, but you should be focused on more health oriented goals- your weight seems not to be the issue :smile:
  • artsysk8erchic
    Options
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! In my mind I know all of this, it's just hard to believe it! It's nice to have someone else tell you from time to time! :) This was exactly what I needed! THANK YOU!!!!