Discomfort in knees

Options
So... today was Week 3 Day 1 for my Couch 2 5K. I noticed today that I'm having just a little bit of discomfort in my knees, but only while I'm jogging, not when walking or at any time I'm not jogging. Could I be jogging wrong?

Replies

• barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It could be your shoes! Or where you're running... is it on a treadmill or outside?

My friend/running coach said that if you are running outside it is easier on your joints if you stay on grass or softer asphalt. If you're running inside on a treadmill then you need to put it at an incline of 1 because 0 is a slight decline and it will hurt your knees. Regardless of where you run, you need really good shoes.

Hope that helps! :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So... today was Week 3 Day 1 for my Couch 2 5K. I noticed today that I'm having just a little bit of discomfort in my knees, but only while I'm jogging, not when walking or at any time I'm not jogging. Could I be jogging wrong?

What shoes are you running in? That's a good place to start. You may need new running shoes, properly fitted by a specialty running store.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    in a word YES, the best thing to do is go to a running school and they can tell you what you are doing wrong quite quickly and how to address it, it can be expensive but worth it in the long run or you could end up putting pressure on the knee or legs and weaken them and cause stress fractures
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi! You know I actually have arthritus in my right knee from a knee surgury in highschool in 1997 when I had a cyst removed from under my patella. One thing really works for my joint comfort is a "jumper's strap" . It's a neoprene strap that has a little rubber tube kind of that you strap right below you knee and it's absorbs the "shock" or the impact from runs/walks. It REALLY works. W/ having lost 45lbs I don't really need it anymore or at least I'm not dying like I was before if I don't use it. It's fairly inexpensive. Also, carboniation from beer and soda can be rough on your joints...Siiiigh cuz I love beer and diet coke! Good luck with it!
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    Thanks guys.... I DO need new shoes... they're on the older side I've had them for a couple of years actually. I'm going to be getting some new ones here in the next couple of weeks. I guess I will try the new shoes route first... see if that helps. If not, I will try the jumpers strap... and if THAT doesn't work... I'll look into a running school...

Thanks for all your help guys!!! :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: