I Need Motivation

Options
I'm posting this in hopes of getting the push I need.

I have lost 32 lbs just with healthy eating and trying to keep my calories at 1200 but it's slow and my jiggly parts are getting more and more jiggly! I hate to exercise! I hate sweating! I have tried to find some "fun" exercises to take my mind off of it but nothing grabs me.My fitness level is "non-existant" and even the though of coming home after work, dealing with the husband and kids and taking my rear outside for a walk just feels like too much. I know I need to just suck it up and do it, but how do you get yourself in that mindset?!

Any thoughts, suggestions or encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Replies

• kcanoni
    kcanoni Posts: 31
    Options
    First off, congrats on the 32 lbs already lost! That is a huge accomplishment!

I am having the same issue getting into the "mindset" of getting out there and actually exercising. I know that reading some of the success stories on MFP has helped me. For awhile it helped me to think "Any workout is better than sitting on the couch and not burning anything". I've also heard my friends say that they don't look at it as an option so they force themselves to do it.

I don't know if any of those tricks will help but I figured I'd try to help a fellow unmotivated MFP-er.

Good luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Any exercise will do--it does not have to be biggest loser style----I know on my program we are recommended to exercise only 45 minutes a day, and a brisk walk certainly qualifies. Don't beat yourself up over it. You definitely want to ease into it. I know I did. I was very overweight and exercise was not easy. I waited until I lost 40 pounds, and then I eased into an exercise program of just doing DVDs in the basement. At first I could only do 15 mins but I knew that was more than I was doing before. Next thing I knew, I was doing the whole DVD and lovin every minute of it.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds cliche, but my best advice is to find a workout that you love. It's hard to stick with something that you don't absolutely love. I found TurboFire, and honestly I cannot wait to get up in the mornings to do it. I am sad that I didn't get to do it today because my knee is hurting. And I am not a morning person, but I get up between 430 and 5am just to get it done. Not much of anything can get me out of bed that early!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    1st when you get any exercise at all give yourself a pat on the back. After a while your body and mind will be rewarding. Now when I head off to Aquafit I get this moment of joy. Your mind really likes exercise too. It helps you think better. Start small give yourself some credit for every small step of progress you make. I am losing much slower than you but I am really focusing on the exercise and I have been able to keep firm as I lose. I really didn't want flabs of skin after all this work. Congrats on the weight loss. You need to decide why your losing the weight is it for looks or health. Eitherway you will look and be healthier if you include exercise. I am the opposite of you I am having a struggle keeping the pounds coming off but I am slimming down. Hopefully we both get to the same place in the end. Healthy.
  • aunfire82
    aunfire82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be intense just something to get the heart rate up for about 30 minutes a day. I found Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program a great program to start with. It's easy and you do more than just walk in place. Plus my kids liked to do it with me so they kept me accountable and on track. Once you get the exercise bug it becomes addicting! Well it did for me anyway and now I LOVE it! You feel so good after you get a cardio session in!
  • danniwhit
    danniwhit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time getting motivated to workout at first..and heck some days I still don't want to do it. But I try to force myself becuase when I stick to my workout schedule I can feel my body getting stronger and that makes me wanna keep doing it!
    I recommend finding a workout you like...I started experimenting with workouts using my xbox kinect. I liked a kickboxing game, so I got a cardio kickbboxing dvd, and a tae bo dvd and I LOVE them. I like doing Zumba on the kinect so that makes up a couple days of workouts. Oh and I LOVE yoga! I found a slim-down yoga/pilates mix that really makes my muscles feel a burn after I do it. Each time I workout I just remind myself throughout that I am getting healthier/stronger...and that keeps me motivated.
    Oh and if you have a computer in the room you workout in...I recommend going to www.pandora.com and signing up and creating some stations. I get up at 415am everyday. Around 5am I put my favorite pandora station on, pop in my dvd and workout for 60-120 minutes. The music keeps me going and makes the workouts seem to fly by!
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I've had times like this too. I found a workout that I absolutely LOVE. ChaLEAN Extreme. I actually smile while working out. I look forward to it. She's so motivating. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I also ordered Turbo Jam to add it into "rest days" & when I just feel like doing more. For me it took finding a program that is doable, fun & not too long.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight 2 years ago by starvation alone (diet would be putting it too mildly), and got more and more wobbly and saggy until I decided I'd rather be podgier but filled out. So I put the weight back on, and have now lost it again through exercise, and it's totally different.

I started off throwing myself in at the deep end running, which I hated. So I joined a legs, bums and tums class in the local community centre with some other mothers, and just took off from there, really. The class is so much fun, I don't notice that we are working really hard, much harder than your average aerobic class, it's all resistance stuff with bands and squats and lunges, but the teacher is brilliant. I think finding something like that with a friendly atmosphere is the key to exercise being fun.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Can you start thinking about your post-work exercise not as more "work" but as YOU -time? I workout after work, as well, (I'm NOT a morning person) but I leave my phone in the car and take that hour and make it all about me. Many adults (especially those with kids) dont' get enought time when they can just be themselves and not worry about life - that's what I make my exercise time into. I know it's hard at first, but the more you exercise regularly, the more you'll start to enjoy and NEED that time. Your body needs it, even if you dread it mentally. I finally kicked myself into gear in December of last year and have been working out regularly ever since, and can't imagine going back to rarely working out - my body craves that activity!