fruit with protein ?

Options
Mon 03/28/11 03:50 PMI asked a question earlier about sugar, because even though I don't eat anything bad like candy or anything, i have somehow been going over my sugars each day. I wanted to know if that would be harming my chances of losing weight.

But I got this statement below as a reply, can someone tell me if it is true or if they disagree?

"pair your fruits with a source of protein (cheese cubes, peanut butter, nuts) as this keeps your blood sugar more stabilized. :) "

Replies

• beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Pair your fruits with fiber. Thats what keeps it stabilized. i have a friend who takes Benefiber when she eats fruits, but i think thats a little excessive. Fruit contains fiber on its own which helps keep your sugar stable. Hope that helps :)
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this myself, can't wait to see the responses.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh and btw - it is REALLY hard to stay under sugar, even if u eat well. I just make sure i stay away from processed sugar. If i go over my sugar due to fruit - well, i cant really guilt trip myself on that one :)
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    my dietician told me and i assume she knows what she's talking about, to eat high fibre fruits as a general rule, because the sugar is released slower.

The protein is to eat protein and complex carbs together, as the body takes longer to digest these together thus keeping you fuller for longer,

hope that helps
  • bigtoddzilla
    Options
    My wife will eat a banana and a yougurt and be over on sugars
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    just mho but, I m not diabetic, and i know the sugars i am getting are all healthy (nothing refined, only coming from fruits, veg and honey basically).. i don't worry about the sugars at all.
    If i were diabetic i would be more worried about them.
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    actually, i have understand that combining proteins with sugar can keep your blood sugar more stable, while fiber just helps you feel more full (but both protein and fiber take longer to digest) -- and here's an article talking about it:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/402885-foods-that-stabilize-blood-sugar/

"Since protein-rich foods digest more slowly than carbohydrates, they may promote improved blood sugar levels, particularly in people with insulin sensitivity or diabetes."

hope this helps!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Protein helps break down the sugar and helps it break down slower in your body. Pairing Fruit with Almonds, or a slice of turkey will help keep your blood sugar down...
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    also she said no more than 5 portions a day because even the sugars in fruit can spike blood sugars if you eat too much, i dont know if this was general advice, or advice for me specifically, but thought i'd throw it out there
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I pair my fruit with protein such as an orange with a 100 calorie pack of almonds and walnuts. Or I will have cottage cheese with strawberries, grapes or oranges mixes it. It's a combination of carbs, protein and fat. I usually follow a ratio of 40/30/30. I never really worry about my sugar - just no processed food if I can help it and eat healthy carbs.
  • ladytdm
    ladytdm Posts: 1
    Options
    I think pariing fruit with some protein is the right way to go. The protein will allow the body to digest food slowly and you will not
    get the "sugar" rush so many experience when consuming foods with a lot of sugar. Cottage cheese, yogurts and eggs are usually served with fruit. Hope this helps!!!