How to make a party fairly healthy.

Options
Today is my son's 2nd birthday and yes, there will be junk food. Another mother and I are hosting this party. We both want to be healthy in our diet and exercise so we decided to go for potato salad rather than chips, pasta salad rather than cheese and crackers, a fruit salad w/ dip rather than...well, actually it didn't replace the cake-we're still making a cake. But at least it was homemade and not from a box. The frosting was cream cheese (1/3 less fat) and the cake had relitively low sugar. Anyways, I said all of that to say this: You can make a fairly healthy party by substituting the deep fried chips and high calorie snacks with lower calorie salads that are filled with veggies/protein and calcium. Even the meat-lovers will enjoy these meals. Just tailor them to their tastebuds. Also, go for the mulitgrain pastas rather than the whole wheat (it tastes better and has all the same benefits). And to burn off some of the calories you can prepare some old games like the 3 legged race, the pillow sack race, and other fun games. I can't wait for tonight. It's going to be a lot of fun and I won't feel too bad about what I eat!!!

Replies

• Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Today is my son's 2nd birthday and yes, there will be junk food. Another mother and I are hosting this party. We both want to be healthy in our diet and exercise so we decided to go for potato salad rather than chips, pasta salad rather than cheese and crackers, a fruit salad w/ dip rather than...well, actually it didn't replace the cake-we're still making a cake. But at least it was homemade and not from a box. The frosting was cream cheese (1/3 less fat) and the cake had relitively low sugar. Anyways, I said all of that to say this: You can make a fairly healthy party by substituting the deep fried chips and high calorie snacks with lower calorie salads that are filled with veggies/protein and calcium. Even the meat-lovers will enjoy these meals. Just tailor them to their tastebuds. Also, go for the mulitgrain pastas rather than the whole wheat (it tastes better and has all the same benefits). And to burn off some of the calories you can prepare some old games like the 3 legged race, the pillow sack race, and other fun games. I can't wait for tonight. It's going to be a lot of fun and I won't feel too bad about what I eat!!!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Good for you! A lot of people go for ease and get the unhealthy stuff. Have fun tonight!