protein powder

Options
lostemt76
lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
I'm new to this weight loss thing. I have tried to loss weight with no success. Just got involved with the trainer to at the gym. They did a polar health evaluation and are setting me up with a complete strength and cardio training. I was wonder with starting all this new training should I be doing any kind of protein drink while doing these workout which is going to be 5 days a week.:huh: :yawn: :smile: Lostemt

Replies

• brandi16
    brandi16 Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't know what you SHOULD do, but I have been training at 5-7 days a week for over a year and today was my very first protein shake. Others use them all the time, I didnt' find the need...
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I use a whey protein powder drink on days I do strength training. The chocolate ones are quite good!
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    We can all have opinions, but first off, try packets if you can, till you find one you can tolerate/like....... Wal-Mart carries 6 starr and it is actually a good tasting shake with a pretty good protein content.... But the low price is deceptive as the big container is only 2lbs compared to the other 4-5 pound containers...

I use Nitrotech, but its a little pricey and it has all my BCAAs that i like to have at least once a day. then for the other shakes throughout the day, i use syntrax nectar shakes as they are low cal, taste great with water, and are cheap because its only protein, none of the extras.....

Good luck, its a workout just finding a shake you will enjoy day in - day out
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    From personal experience, protein helps to stabilize your blood sugar... so if you drink one with breakfast (at least for me) it will help keep you from getting hungry as quick.

@S*... don't get the unflavored... it does not go down well and it smells really bad.
  • LilyTigerheart
    LilyTigerheart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Whey Protein - Chocolate (from Walmart). I don't use it everyday, but just on occasion. It's one of the few drinks I liked immediately with the exception of Shakeology (which is extremely pricey). It's a good way to get in protein when you are short, much like shelled hemp seed is.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Blah, blah, blah. There's no opinion about it. Studies have been concluding for years that protein is essential for muscle growth and muscle growth helps burn calories.

Have a shake, man. Great way to hit your caloric goal and still eat a REALLY clean diet. Plus the have the aforementioned benefits.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Blah, blah, blah. There's no opinion about it. Studies have been concluding for years that protein is essential for muscle growth and muscle growth helps burn calories.

Have a shake, man. Great way to hit your caloric goal and still eat a REALLY clean diet. Plus the have the aforementioned benefits.

QFT. Listen to him. He's a genius.
  • bassman2019
    bassman2019 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning. It's quick, easy and holds me over until lunch.
  • ZachyABaby
    Options

QFT. Listen to him. He's a genius.

Edit: nevermind, i thought you were being sarcastic. i'm not really up on forum language anymore.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Nope, very serious. Like you said, proteins (amino acids) are the building blocks of muscle and tissue regeneration. We break down tissues daily whether we're working out or not. So, more protein is usually a good thing.
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    Yep! Plus shakes taste good if you're willing to use the calories. Optimum 100% whey with some 1 % milk and whatever else you want to throw in = good carbs, high protein, and low sodium... as opposed to trying to eat 200 calories without collecting all that sodium