Vegan Recipes?

Options
I am looking for some non-weird vegan recipes that my family will enjoy. No tofu ect...I know how to make salads so I don't need any salad recipes. I am looking for something different but not weird. It can be breakfast, dinner, desert...Anything....I am trying to go vegan most of the time and I want to have things that I can make that everyone would like : )

Replies

• audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You can check out my vegan website www.onestopveganhealthshop.com
    It has lots of cooked and raw vegan recipes.

Too, do what I do and substitute any recipes you have with vegan alternatives.

For example, I use nut milks instead of milk. I use bananas or cornstarch and soy flour instead of eggs. I use soy flour instead of whole wheat to up the protein values. I eat nuts, seeds, hemp, beans, and fake meat in place of real meat. I eat nutritional yeast instead of cheese.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Buy the book "Appetite for Reduction." It is filled with yummy low fat vegan recipes. We are not vegan, but are eating from this cookbook because the food is so healthful and delicious!
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by non-weird vegan recipes. I have hundreds of vegan recipes, but to non-vegans, they are all weird.

Here's a couple:

Lentil and Brown Rice Soup
    Makes 8 servings
    12 cups water or vegetable broth
    1 cup dried brown or green lentils
    1 cup short-grain brown rice
    1 cup diced onion
    1 cup minced fresh parsley
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon whole celery seeds
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Bring the water to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the lentils, rice, onion, parsley, garlic, oregano, thyme, pepper, celery seeds, and cinnamon. Lower the heat, cover loosely, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes, or until the lentils and rice are tender.
    Season with salt to taste.
    Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftover Lentil and Brown Rice Soup will keep for up to 3 days.

Nutrition Information
    Per serving:
    calories: 173
    fat: 1.1 g
    saturated fat: 0.2 g
    calories from fat: 5.6%
    cholesterol: 0 mg
    protein: 8.5 g
    carbohydrate: 33.4 g
    sugar: 1 g
    fiber: 7 g
    sodium: 158 mg
    calcium: 43 mg
    iron: 3.3 mg
    vitamin C: 12.2 mg
    beta-carotene: 390 mcg
    vitamin E: 0.2 mg
    Recipe from The Cancer Survivor’s Guide

Vegan Not-Tuna Salad
    1 Can garbanzo beans (15 oz)
    1 Stalk celery
    1 Carrot, grated
    1 Quarter cooking onion
    2 Tsp yellow mustard
    2 Tsp Pickle relish (sweet or dill)
    3 Tbsp vegenaise/nayonaise (nutes are with vegenaise high omega-3)

1) Open beans and pour contents into strainer. Rinse and then shake them dry.
    2) Move beans to a bowl and mash up with a fork or potato masher until they're approximately the texture you'd want.
    3) Add in the rest of the ingredients
    4) Stir, and serve. I put it on a whole wheat pita wish some lettuce and a tomato slice.

Makes 4 BIG servings.

Nutes:
    Cals: 173
    Carbs: 19g
    Fat: 8g
    Protein: 6g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 455mg
    Sugars: 1g
    Fiber: 7g

VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP
    INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 leeks, white and light green parts washed and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
    2 cups chopped yellow onion
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch cubes
    4 cups vegetable stock
    2-3 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
    1. Heat a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat and add the oil.
    2. Add the leeks, onion, and sea salt and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion begins to turn translucent.
    3. Add the garlic and stir well. Cook for 1 minute more.
    4. Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 20 minutes.
    5. Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion/stick blender to blend the soup in the pot or ladle the soup into a blender, 1 cup at a time. Blend the soup with the fresh rosemary leaves until smooth and free of chunks. Pour smooth soup into a heat-proof bowl and continue until all of the soup has been blended.
    6. Transfer the blended soup back to the original soup pot and warm over low heat until heated through. Serve hot.
    Serves 4 - 6.
    6 Servings

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 146.1
    Total Fat 4.7
    Saturated Fat 0.7 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 3.3 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 101.7 mg
    Potassium 708.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
    Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
    Sugars 2.8 g
    Protein 4.1 g
    Vitamin A 0.4 %
    Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
    itamin B-6 11.7 %
    Vitamin C 44.9 %
    Vitamin D 0.0 %
    Vitamin E 0.0 %
    Calcium 3.1 %
    Copper 5.0 %
    Folate 8.1 %
    Iron 8.1 %
    Magnesium 7.0 %
    Manganese 5.1 %
    Niacin 7.9 %
    Pantothenic Acid 0.3 %
    Phosphorus 0.7 %
    Riboflavin 0.5 %
    Selenium 0.3 %

If you are interested, PCRM is running a Vegan Kickstart beginning April 4th. It is 21 days and they provide the grocery list and menus in advance. Check out the website for tips and tons of recipes www.21daykickstart.com

Also www.vegetariantimes.com has TONS of recipes to sift through. You are bound to find something you like on there.

Hope that helps:flowerforyou:
  • kathymc54
    kathymc54 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thanks, always looking for vegan ideas!
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    By non weird I mean foods that are easy to get or that most people already have. I don't have alot of money to buy a ton of different things...Thanks for the recipes!
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Buy the Skinny B*tch Ultimate Cookbook. I love it and use it all the time! While there is some 'weird' stuff that you might not normally buy like Agave Nectar, miso and Seitan, all the weirdness is explained and lots of it is more nutritious and flavourful than the traditional North American food. Here is the recipe for lentil tacos that I made for my parents (both farm people who grew up on meat and potatoes) and they LOVED it!

4 cups water
    1 cup dried green lentils
    2 tablespoons chopped white onion
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2/3 cups diced cherry tomatoes
    2 tables spoons sliced red onion
    1 garlic clove (minced)
    1/4 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
    2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
    corn tortillas
    1 avocado, sliced (i usually just crush it into guacamole, as they are hard to peel without wrecking them)
    1/2 cup shredded lettuce

Add lentils and white onion to boiling water, return to boil, then lower heat and simmer until soft, about 30 mins (I notice the skins start to lift off the lentils when they are cooked). Drain any remaining water and put half the lentils into a blender with tomato paste and 1 tablespoon olive oil, when blended, mix with the remaining lentils (this gives a good taco texture)

In a separate bowl, add cherry tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeno, lime/lemon juice, cilantro and 1 tablespoon olive oil to make fresh salsa! The cilantro totally makes it so don't skip it!! Its dirt cheap too (like 50 cents) so no excuses!!

Also, when boiling the lentils you can add taco seasoning to make its extra taco-y!

Heat tortillas, and serve with the avocado.

I hope you like this and the rest of the cookbook is equally as awesome!

ps. This serves 4 apparently but i always have lentils leftover. The salsa is just too good (i am no cook and it blew me away how good it was) so i recommend doubling up the recipe for that part as its always the first to go. And add extra cilantro ;)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I've made this a few times and it is GREAT! I could not find any tahini, but I ended up adding a couple of chopped up jalepenos, extra garlic and it was AWESOME. It's a great dip for veggies or a spread for a sandwich. Yummy!

Avocado Hummus

Ingredients:

1 avocado, peeled and pitted
    1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
    2 Tbsp. tahini (optional)
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 lime, juiced
    1 tsp. cumin
    1/4 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
    Method:

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add in a few extra tablespoons of water to thin out the consistency if you’d like.

Here's the website I got the recipe from - there are a ton of hummus recipes and fairly simple & cheap to make.
    http://gimmesomeoven.com/roasted-garlic-rosemary-and-white-bean-hummus/

Enjoy!
  • anthrogirl
    Options
    can't wait to try some of these recipes!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I like vegan tortilla soup from

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/vegetarian-tortilla-soup/detail.aspx

We just slice up tortillas and bake them rather than using a bag of tortilla chips.
  • 7Jessica
    7Jessica Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah, me too! BLins lentil tacos sound awesome. I got all excited while reading the ingredients because I have them all in my fridge. All but the avocado, but I just looked up a recipe for some vegan sour cream that I've been wanting to try that sounds delicious for tacos. MMM!! http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6985.0