Insomnia!

Options
Insomnia has been a problem for years. Too much stress in my life. I'm currently without health insurance so no medical help here. I've used natural remedies melatonin, valerian, and 5htp at bedtime without much success. I'm afraid that not getting enough rest is a contributing factor to not being able to lose weight. I am always hungry and the more hours I am awake the harder it is not to eat more than I should. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    drink caffeine-free tea before bed. Take a bath. Wind down that last hour before bed and don't watch TV.

I will say that most sleep issues can be traced to poor diet, not enough exercise and in some cases some sort of hormone thing. However, lack of sleep can lead to other health issues!

Develop a good, healthy bedtime routine and it will get better. And don't take over the counter sleep aids that are herbal or natural...those are not regulated by the FDA and can do more harm than good!
  • Sedonafan
    Sedonafan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Alright, so I know most people say "just get more exercise", however insomnia has been a problem even when I was a twig exercising twice a day! So I went to Target the other day and got their generic version (the up and up thing) of their sleep aid. It is maximum strength (though only 50 mg) of diphenhydramine HCL. That is the "non-addicting" sleep aid. Anyways a one months supply (if taken every day) was only 3 bucks at Target. I bought the smallest bottle to see how it works. It doesn't make me feel ridiculously drowsy, but it just helps me get to sleep VERY quickly. Before this, I would close my eyes and toss and turn for up to 5 hours before I could actually fall asleep! I hope this helps!
  • britia1
    britia1 Posts: 21
    Options
    I also take the generic form of diphenhydramine (otherwise known as Benedril). It works like a charm and like Sedonafan said, it is non addicting and my doctor said it is very safe to take.

Good luck!
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually find alcohol helps...

... although I guess that isn't an especially helpful suggestion. Going to slap my self now. Ouch.

:ohwell:
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Tons of exercise and whiskey! Only things I've found that help.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D has helped hubby and I. We take it in the am helps keep me awake (im hypothyroid so i get tired quick but can't sleep at night) it helps me sleep at night since im not trying to nap during the day.
  • jackypoo
    jackypoo Posts: 7
    Options
    Cat, Camomille (sp?) tea is supposed to be a natural relaxant ... Celestial Seasons also makes a "sleepytime" tea with chamomille (sp?). I also find that watching anything science fiction-y puts me RIGHT to sleep lol!
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    I've got this http://withandrewjohnson.com/Hypnosis-MP3/Deeper-Sleep-MP3/flypage.tpl.html as an app for my iPhone and I can recommend it. I only use it when I can't sleep (maybe once a week) and I would say 8 times out of 10 I'm asleep before the end. Hope this helps.