Ouch! My Sore Aching Muscles! What Can I Do To Ease The Pain

Options
audjrey
audjrey Posts: 360 Member
I've been meaning to write this quick little blurb for the past few weeks now but have never found the time, and when I did find time I often forgot. That said, I've got the time and I've since remembered so here it goes.

I've seen many MFP people wondering how to ease sore aching muscles from a workout, be-it running, strength training, etc.

I have two very simple all natural remedies I'd like to share with you that have almost always worked for me. L-glutamine powder and magnesium powder. Personally I prefer powders to tablets or pills because they dissolve and enter the blood stream almost immediately whereas pills and tablets can take up to 45 minutes to digest before entering the blood stream. Thus powders are rapidly more effective.

1) L-Glutamine Powder

L-glutamine comes in powder form and can be purchased at most Walmart and Health Food stores as well as online. It costs approximately $20-$30 CDN for 300 grams. Personally, I purchase North Coast Naturals all natural fermented L-glutamine non gmo vegan, unflavored and take 1-3 tablespoons in a glass of filtered water after each workout.

When muscles are worked hard, they tear. The tears are tiny but significant enough to produce soreness. L-glutamine works to quickly repair muscular damage, which enables you to work out more often while developing increased strength.

L-glutamine is found naturally in beef, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, dairy products, wheat, cabbage, beets, beans, spinach, parsley and pineapple. Small amounts of free L-glutamine are also found in vegetable juices and tofu.

For more in-depth information about L-glutamine, please visit:

http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/amino-acids/glutamine.php
http://www.whathealth.com/l-glutamine/
http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/L-glutamine.html

2) Magnesium Powder

Most people in North America suffer from too much calcium and not enough magnesium. Although the ratio differs from person to person, the normal range ratio of calcium to magnesium is 2:1. Thus for every gram of calcium you intake you should also be consuming 0.5 grams of magnesium for proper muscle, bone and blood development.

Too little magnesium is becoming obviously apparent in western society in the form of chronic sore muscles, stiffness and fibromyalgia.

Magnesium works to keep muscles relaxed and works to stabilize the proper rhythm of the heart.

According to the article, "The Health Benefits of Magnesium" written by the Alternative Medicine Digest (http://www.alternative-medicine-digest.com/health-benefits-of-magnesium.html),

"The crucial health benefits of magnesium include solving or preventing osteoporosis, heart attacks, hypertenstion, constipation, migraines, leg cramps, kidney stones, gallstones and more."

The article further cites,

"According to Dr. Nan Kathryn Fuchs, who publishes the Women's Health Letter newsletter, it's not more calcium you need for stong bones; it's magnesium. Although the government has raised the RDA for calcium from 500 milligrams to 1,000 milligrams a day, and U.S. women have one of the highest levels of calcium intake in the world, osteoporosis has gone up instead of down. Fuchs (no relation to this writer) says that the problem isn't too little calcium but too much. In order to be absorbed, she says, calcium must be taken with magnesium, yet experts estimate that most American women are deficient in magnesium."

That's about a half teaspoon in the morning and another half teaspoon at night before bed. I strongly urge you not to take one full teaspoon at a time, as I can verify the almost immediate strong laxative effects magnesium has on the body when taken in large doses.

As an aside, magnesium, taken regularly, can also help prevent severe cramps, blood clotting, and heavy bleeding associated to women's monthly cycles. After years of suffering from severe cramps, clotting and heavy bleeding, taking birth control to no avail, and running out of options, I took my daughter to a homeopath. The homeopath suggested a teaspoon of magnesium, every single night, in a cup of warm camomile tea 30-40 minutes before bed. The remedy, when taken as instructed, helped enormously.

You can purchase magnesium powder at most Walmart and Health Food stores as well as online. Prices range from store to store.

To read more about magnesium please visit:

http://www.acu-cell.com/acn.html
http://www.brighthub.com/health/alternative-medicine/articles/43417.aspx
http://www.alternative-medicine-digest.com/health-benefits-of-magnesium.html

Hope you found this post helpful :happy:

Replies

• daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Take a nice hot bath (hot as you can stand it) in epsom salts. it works!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    that is interesting. I'm starting personal training this week, and last week i killed myself with a weights session and was sore for 4 days.
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    Don't forget the Fish Oil or Flax Seed Oil..... In conjunction with the L-Glutamine and and Magnesium Powder Fish Oil with help ease the pain in muscle and joints...... It won't take away all the pain but will help ease the pain!
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    I like both of the things you recommended in addition to Arnica Gel and Bromelain tablets.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Very helpful thanks..Now I have a question: I have lower back pain, but I dont think it's my muscles, should I take the day off of running and just walk?
  • mowrynation
    Options
    I use Arbonne protein drinks after a workout! It has vegan protein, Flax Seed, CoQ10, and Alpha Lipoic Acid! Just what the body needs!
  • 2blueyes
    2blueyes Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow, thats a wonderful idea. I have been working out and walking somewhat now for just one week. I have had several surgeries and am Diabetic type 2. I have been lathargic for about 5 years now, and I wanted to get my body back into shape. My back hurts bad if I walk more than 20 to 30 minutes so I am taking it slow. I have heard of the magnesium powder. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the help
  • 2blueyes
    2blueyes Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I have to ask. Does the fish oil leave a bad taste in your mouth? Man it does mine. I thought it was just what I was eating but nope it was the fish oil. I had to quit taking it. Is there anything out there that does the same thing, but without the after smell? I love the fish oil, people told me it was for my memory. Am I right? It did help me feel better. Thanks
    :embarassed:
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    I actually take Krill Oil capsules instead of fish oil and put mine in the freezer. It seems to help with the "fishy" taste.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @ mkcalvert:

Lower back pain in runners is usually associated to tight hamstrings, calves, hip flexors, and a sluggish core. My suggestion is to first stretch your hams, calves and hip flexors for no less than a minute. And then hang in 'rag doll' posture for about 2 minutes to ease any pressures off your lower back. Then do a few sets of reverse crunches (google this to see how it's done) followed by a set or two of regular crunches.

There are various ways to stretch your hamstrings. You can bent your back knee while keeping your front knee straight, bend over at the hips and flex your toes. You can also do this while sitting on the floor except instead of having your bent knee behind you, you'll place the sole of your one foot against the inner thigh of the other. Again, bend from the hips and not the back, otherwise you're stretching your back and not your hamstrings.

To stretch your calves, simply stand on a step and allow your heels to drop lower than the step. Whatever you do, don't bounce. Hold this and all stretches statically, fixed, without bouncing for a minimum of 30 seconds.

To stretch your hip flexor, do the runner's lunge (yoga's version of crescent lunge). Lunge forward so that your front knee is bent at 45 degrees and your back thigh and leg rests on the floor. Your hands will be on either side of, and your chest will rest lightly on your front leg.

To perform rag doll, simply bend both knees while standing, and round down over your legs. Clasp each elbow in your opposite hand. Your chest should sit lightly on your thighs.

Finally, do your crunches. If after you do all these exercises and your back still hurts, then I would strongly advise you forgo your run for tonight and walk briskly instead. It might even be helpful to take a hot bath followed by a quick cold shower.

Repeat these exercises often throughout tonight and tomorrow day and see if your back is better by tomorrow night. If no, then it might be that you've actually irritated or dislocated one of your vertebrae and may need chiropractic care.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have to ask. Does the fish oil leave a bad taste in your mouth? Man it does mine. I thought it was just what I was eating but nope it was the fish oil. I had to quit taking it. Is there anything out there that does the same thing, but without the after smell? I love the fish oil, people told me it was for my memory. Am I right? It did help me feel better. Thanks

Try Flaxseed in seed form or in oil capsules. I prefer them to fish oil :embarassed:
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options

yep and folks take too many pills, supplements, etc... as it is...
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options

This is why two of my docs suggested flax instead of fish, I just couldn't get past the idea of fish oil, I can not stand seafood of any kind.
  • lyndatolar1
    Options
    just remember pain is weakness leaving the body
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options

+1 I've tried the other stuff with no real results. That's why DOMS products do not last on the market.

lyndatolar1: Bravo!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the Fish Oil or Flax Seed Oil..... In conjunction with the L-Glutamine and and Magnesium Powder Fish Oil with help ease the pain in muscle and joints...... It won't take away all the pain but will help ease the pain!

no. no. no.
    Fish oil isn't going to help with muscle soreness. Neither is flax seed oil.
    Glutamine also doesn't help with recovery nearly as much as people think it does.

creatine is great for recovery.
    along with protein and rest.