A lot of stomach activity since going healthy?

Options
I am no expert and probably could use improvement in my diet to make it even healthier. I started watching calories last week and trying to make the calories I eat count. Previously, I just ate whatever and how much I wanted so this was a drastic change. I started taking a multi vitamin, increasing the amount of Fiber I'm eating, trying to only eat vegetables when I snack in order to make it low calorie. My mornings and lunches are usually yogurt and fiber granola bars. If I get hungry I snack on raw veggies like carrots, celery, peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower. For dinner I'll eat a meal based on what calories I can still eat. It's been almost one week so far, the first day I didn't drink enough water with the fiber so my stomach was hard. Since then my stomach has been very gurgly (not rumble like hunger but gurgling like stuff is moving around). I am sorry this isn't the prettiest post ever but it is bothering me and I was wondering if this is normal and will go away in time or if I need to adjust my plan?

Replies

• sjmartinez
    Options
    I'm not an expert at all, but you may be right in your assumption that you need more water. You should be at least drinking 8 but if you are also becoming physically fit, you need to up that a bit. Also you should be trying to eat from all of the food groups, other than just all veggies. A good meal would consist of about 4- 6 ounces of protein one carb and one veggie. For dessert a fruit.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My stomach very often sounds like a herd of bullfrogs is living inside it. Unfortunately, mine may be too much water because on those days I've been sucking it down like there's no tomorrow. Not really sure what causes this but I experience it too and it really bugs my son. It freaks him out when the wild animals start talking! :tongue:
  • Sedonafan
    Sedonafan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The water will def. help, but you gotta realize what your poor stomach is going through right now; FIBER OVERLOAD! I mean, its a great thing! But your digestive system is getting a workout right now, since you are introducing so many new fibrous foods! It will pass, which is great! Keep it up. The gurgling is a great thing!
  • allisonmvieira
    Options
    For me, I found that cutting out dairy made that problem stop. I don't even eat any cheese any more. I do have to start taking a calcium sipplement though. Try eliminating things that may be a trigger for oyu for one week at a time to determine if that is the culprit.
  • Shadbad
    Shadbad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hey, some veggies are what is known as "gas forming vegetables" (at least thats what we called it when i was a dietician's assistant) ironic... anyways, things like broccoli and cauliflower are major culprits, but if you want to take a beano or something that should help, but veggies as a snack is def the way to go! fruit is good too but you have to watch your sugar with fruit.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am no expert either but you may be over doing the raw veggies . I would not say eliminate them completely from your diet. Choose other snacks , too. Nuts and even a soup may help. Also try drinking a cup or two of tea. Good luck with the weight loss.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    All of the above posters are correct, Fiber AND adding raw veggies will make u sound funny LOL..its normal BUT you need to really give your body the water to work all the fiber out of your system and keep you hydrated,

Its embarassing but your body will adjust :):) Drink water!!!
    Good luck to you :)

Luly