Non-fishy fish

Options
Hi! I really, really hate fish and seafood in general except for tuna that has been slathered in mayo (which in all actuality doesn't count), but I really need to start adding in more diverse sources of protein into my diet. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on non-fishy fishes and if possible, recipes for them. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nsteffens
    nsteffens Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should try some Tilapia or any type of Sea Bass.
    Also I enjoy a grilled and seared Ahi Tuna steak, little olive oil and lemon pepper.

Hope that helps.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I think very few kinds of fish taste 'fishy'. That's probably because I love it so much! If it pees in the sea, I'll eat it (humans excluded, lol!)

I really think the preparation is key. Do some recipe searches on a place like allrecipes.com with an ingredient you really love (lemon, garlic, sage, etc) and fish and see what comes up.

Good luck!
  • erinpatkowski
    Options
    i have the same problem... i have found that salmon isnt too bad. I would marinate some salmon in teriyaki sauce for about 30 min and then grill it so that its a little more well done than most places would serve it.. that seems to help take the fishy taste away... you can also try sprinkling some dill, salt, and pepper on it and then use a sauce to hide a bit of the taste.. do a non fat sour cream with pureed cucumber and dill... its very low cal and hides the fishy taste. :)
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fish person either, but I really love tilapia. Try this recipe: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2008/10/fish-that-tastes-like-doritos.html. Another option is to wrap the individual filets in foil and slow cook them. SUPER yummy! I also really like Salmon Almondine, but I kinda had to build myself up to it. The tilapia was a great stepping stone. Enjoy!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i find basa and tilapia fillets to not taste 'fishy' at all
    (i am the same way, NOT into fish that tastes fishy *L*)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is a good starter fish. Once you get the taste for that, other things start to taste good that you didn't think you'd like before.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed. Protein and omega 3s and 6s.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Mahi Mahi,and cod is also an awesome fish...As well as Swai
  • PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    I don't like any sea food- but friends and family all say Tilapia is not fishy tasting. I have cooked it for my husband and it doesnt stink up the house . lol
  • crebbe
    crebbe Posts: 18
    Options
    I too dislike "fishy fish"! I do like Orange Roughey, and Wild Caught Flounder/Sole. Ofcourse I normally bake them until they are as dry as can be just to make sure theres absolutely no taste of fish!
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    lol, good luck w/ that. chicken taste like chicken, pork taste like pork, and fish, yes, taste like fish. there are milder tasting fish like sole, flounder, cod.......etc. fish that are higher in fat generally are the stronger yummy tasting one. find one you like and cook w/ ingredients that you like such as veggies, pastes(curry, jerk) to make the pop w/ flavor. hope this helps. feel free to email me :smile:
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I like Tuna stakes, but anything other than that makes me gag. Maybe I'll have to try the tilapia recipe above....with trepidation...
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ha! I hate fishy fish too so I have a list that I texted to myself so I have it when I am grocery shopping because I kept forgetting! :ohwell:

Here it is:
    Tilapia, haddock, halibut, flounder, snapper, cod, orange roughy, chilean sea bass and mahi mahi.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Hopefully I'll find one that I like!
  • louiepoof
    louiepoof Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a no fish person, but I worked up the nerve to eat tilapia last week. Everyone is correct. It doesn't taste fishy and was actually okay (after I got over the idea that I was eating fish!) I just sprinkled it with Old Bay seasoning and garlic and baked it in the oven.
  • kristygay
    kristygay Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also am not a fan of "Fishy fish". I love Swai. Its an extremely mild white fish. I get it a Wal-Mart . Its also only 70 cals per fillet.
  • tgbjr1973
    tgbjr1973 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'd recommend Mahi Mahi or Flounder. My wife does not like fish either, but she has no problem with either of these mild fish, and actually likes them quite a bit if prepared properly.