HRM at Boot Camp and Heart Rate

Options
I got my HRM the other day and was realy excited to try it at my boot camp class i go to twice a week.

I started it up as soon as class started but am not sure if the calories burned will be acurrate as the class is pretty constant - heart rate goes up for some excersises and down for some.

My first question is should it be worn to classes like this where it is a variation of both cardio and body strength movements like lounges, squats and arm excersises or just for the cardio part?

I am also wondering about my heart rate reaching its max rate of 180 and some excersises even higher during class? It doesnt stay max that long and comes down for the next set of moves but is it ok to go over your max?

Today it showed i burned 631 calories and i am not sure if i should use that number or deduct some for the strength parts?

Any advice?

Thank you!

Replies

• sdhorne
    sdhorne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Use the whatever your HRM says. Even when doing strength your heart rate is increased and your body is burning calories.
    It is ok to go over your max, but keep in mind when you do go over max your body starts buring other things instead of fat (i.e. muscle).
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Had the same exact issue today after my bootcamp class :) It said I burned 812 and because we did a few minutes of running and then a lot of kickboxing type circuit training I wasn't sure if I was logging it correctly. But if it is checking your heart rate I guess it is pretty accurate. I'm glad it is! Great burn!
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ok how do you log in the calories for the boot camp class?
  • donbogi67
    donbogi67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    body bugg baby
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I go to a strength and speed coach/trainer. Mostly athletes in my class, and we do loads of agility work, speed work, as well as strength work. I walk out of there completely burned out, barely can walk down the stairs to leave, but feeling that I accomplished something. I tried to track exercise on here and it says I burn 1100+ calories in 75 minutes of circuit type training. I have NO clue how much I am really burning, but I generally do not factor in exercise in terms of diet and stick with the calories per day allocated and try to keep under.
    I have thought about purchasing a body bug. have heard good things about them. it would be nice to at least know how many calories I am burning.