Exercises to target belly fat?

Options
Does anyone have any tips in exercises to help burn belly fat? Particularly in the lower belly? I carry most of my weight there and that's the area i'm most concerned with. I do cardio 5 or 6 times a week for 30-60 minutes then do weights from 30 - 45 minutes 3 days a week. I also started Insanity today. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You're on the right program, Insanity will do it if you stay dedicated.
  • RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am struggling as well. I am doing the elliptical for about 75 minutes a week. I know it's not a lot but its what I can do right now. Cant wait to find out what others are doing. As for all those programs, I AM NOT THERE YET..LOLLLLL GREAT JOB FOR YOU!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no way to "spot lose." Fat goes on/comes off depending on factors like genetics, sex, age, etc. You'll lose fat first (and last) in areas where your body chooses. Keep up with the exercise and healthy foods and as you lose weight, the belly fat will decrease as well. Patience! :wink:
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    You are doing the right program to help burn fat, but the thing about fat you can't spot reduce. Sometimes it's harder to get the fat off of the places where we want it to go first.
    Follow the Insanity nutrition guide and dig deep to get those workouts done and you will see that your stomach will get toned.
  • Smilbuta
    Smilbuta Posts: 10
    Options
    Irrelevant of what exercise you do 80% of your weight loss will come from diet. If you don't make a hard change your diet to match your workout and goals your progress will be 0.
  • lnfowler887
    lnfowler887 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My diet is definitely better. A lot of days I struggle to met the net calories MFP has set for me
    Thanks for the advice everyone!!
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Irrelevant of what exercise you do 80% of your weight loss will come from diet. If you don't make a hard change your diet to match your workout and goals your progress will be 0.

I agree with this and "Ladyhawk"............your stomach is the last place you will lose most of your fat. Everyone has abs if you exercise (running, sit-ups, or whatever you do for core working out), the toughest part is getting them to show and dieting is the key. Watch your fat and sodium intake and drink a ton of water. I average 12-15 cups a day.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You could try HIIT (high intensity interval training) in place of your regular cardio - worked for me in the past. Lots of studies show that long steady state cardio is often very ineffective.

Check out http://www.intervaltraining.net/
    :smile: :smile:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I agree with this and "Ladyhawk"............your stomach is the last place you will lose most of your fat. Everyone has abs if you exercise (running, sit-ups, or whatever you do for core working out), the toughest part is getting them to show and dieting is the key. Watch your fat and sodium intake and drink a ton of water. I average 12-15 cups a day.

Yes. Yes. Yes.
  • lnfowler887
    lnfowler887 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sodium is always my issue!! I'm always under with fat, sugar, etc.. I just can't seem to keep the sodium down.. and I only drink water.. all day, every day!!
  • DancingFox
    DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bellydancing, mostly focused on hip locks, undulations and shimmies, seems to work the best for me. However, like others have said, spot losing is difficult, since that 'belly tire' is one of the last things to go.
    I think bellydancing really works those muscles underneath it, though. :)
  • crazymom4
    crazymom4 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Any cardio will do the trick:) I love ab ripper from p-90 it flattened my tummy right out and just recently I invested I'n Jillian michaela 6 week to. A 6 pack! It works I picked it ip for 14 $ and my shirt was soaked all across my missection and back so I know it's working that area it also has 2 levels one and 2 and they are both 35 minutes ling so if u do t have alot of time but wanna work up a sweat try this one out!!!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Just run your ABS out!!!....but you gotta run like you want them!....
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, its all about your diet.
    Avoid things things like sodium (not entirely), and bad carbs (bread - all of it, rice, pasta, potatoes, fruit), and yeah, drink a *kitten* tonne of water. And make sure you meet your calorie goals. if it says 1500, 1550-1600 is definately ok!. Mostly about quality, rather than absolute quantaties.

Keep the diet right, and keep exercising like you are, and be patient.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You could try HIIT (high intensity interval training) in place of your regular cardio - worked for me in the past. Lots of studies show that long steady state cardio is often very ineffective.

Insanity is HIIT.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction.