Lose 50 by June 1st?

Options
What do you guys think? I'm 210. Do you think it's possible/advisable/healthy for me to lose that much weight by then? I know everyone says two pounds per week is the way to go, but honestly, when you're as big as me, weight comes off much faster than that in the beginning.

Replies

• haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that it could very well be possible, but don't get your hopes up too high, just in case you don't make that deadline. Just keep at it, and 50lbs will be gone in due time. Any weight lost is better than none at all! :) Good luck to you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It depends - how tall are you? 210 on someone who is 6'2" is way different from 210 on someone who is 4'11"...

But in general, 50 pounds in 2 months is very aggressive, especially when not under strict doctor supervision. Personally I find that more gradual weight loss is most realistic - and more likely to stay off. That way, by the time you've reached your goal, you're more likely to have truly formed the habits and new lifestyle that will help you keep the weight off.
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    i lost 60 pounds 5 months so there's 2 months till June idk maybe but it's gonna take determination,a LOT of will power and exercise.
  • stscrivener
    stscrivener Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5''.
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could do it but would you feel good, be starving and would it pack right back on? Just take your weight loss as it comes if you don't make the total 50 you at least will be close and be looking good.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    I lost 42lbs in 12 weeks, but it is not recommended that you lose more than 1-2 lbs per week, as there can be serious health complications. (After losing a total of 90lb in 9 months, I developed gallstones with severe complications and needed two emergency surgeries.) Consult with your doctor before going on a strict weight-loss plan.

Set more realistic goals. You'll see, you will feel so much more motivation and sense of accomplishment after reaching and exceeding an easy goal, as opposed to the possible disappointment when setting hard-to-reach goals.

Best of luck to you! No matter how much weight you drop, remember than even 1 lb lost is an achievement and you should be happy about it.:flowerforyou:
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    In my opinion? it can be done but it wouldn't be healthy. Your body can't take the shock of losing that much that fast. But losing 50lbs definitely doable!! Just give yourself more time :) Good luck on your journey!
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well, did you gain 50 lbs in 2 months? You would have to really crash diet for that and I think slow and steady wins the race.... and the "race" is adopting a healthy lifestyle for LIFE. You will feel good at 10 lbs lost, then 20 lbs, then 30...... and you'll do it without starving yourself and letting your body adjust naturally. Then you will be in a better position to keep it off! Best of luck to you!
  • LFFTommyboy
    Options
    My suggestion- talk to your primary care physician. She/he would know better what your realistic goals should be.
    I started prior to joining MFP and have lost 34 lbs in two months (from 240 lbs. to 206 lbs.).

I made my doctor a partner and he's been VERY supportive, with many helpful suggestions and guidelines. Fortunately my body can handle lots of exercise!

Good Luck and every pound off is a pound closer to the goal!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5''.

I guess it's not completely impossible - you'd be going from moderately obese to moderately overweight (per BMI) - but honestly, the weight loss recommendations are there for a reason. There are possible health complications if you lose too much too fast (gallbladder problems, hair loss, lack of energy, etc.)

I started out around 230 at 5'3.5" - would I have loved to drop 50 pounds in 2 months? Sure... but I have a life and I don't want to spend all my time working out - I'm not on the biggest loser. It's not healthy to restrict calories too severely. I don't regret at all that it's taken me over a year to lose 50 lbs - I've learned so much about myself, eating healthy and forming the habits, mentality and general lifestyle needed to maintain a healthy weight. It's not a race and it's about more than just weight.
  • megansweitzer
    Options
    Im in the same boat. 23 years old and starting out at 256. I find it very difficult to do alot of things I can do. I talked to my doctor and 50 lbs is feasible but a long shot, I would possible shot for 25lbs do you dont let yourself down, as long as you do it in a healthy way, stick to you caloric intake and exercise a min of 3 times a week with 30 mins sessions.

It can be done :) Just keep yourself motivated and you will reach the potential you desire. i know I sure have the determination! If you need support or wanna vent (even though we dont know each other) I am here for support!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that would be an extremely risky weight loss if you aren't under the direct watch of a doctor.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I lost 42lbs in 12 weeks, but it is not recommended that you lose more than 1-2 lbs per week, as there can be serious health complications. (After losing a total of 90lb in 9 months, I developed gallstones with severe complications and needed two emergency surgeries.) Consult with your doctor before going on a strict weight-loss plan.

Set more realistic goals. You'll see, you will feel so much more motivation and sense of accomplishment after reaching and exceeding an easy goal, as opposed to the possible disappointment when setting hard-to-reach goals.

Best of luck to you! No matter how much weight you drop, remember than even 1 lb lost is an achievement and you should be happy about it.:flowerforyou:

How did you lose 42 pounds in 12 weeks?? That's amazing! Sorry to hear about your complications though!

I agree with the majority of users here, a more gradual weight loss is advisable... 2 months isn't very long at all. Good luck!! :happy: