RANT RANT RAAAANNNTTTTT

Options
Ok,
This is a rant (if you couldnt tell by the title). I need to blow off some steam and hear from people who maybe have had the same nasty things said to them.
So I have been working VERY hard since joining MFP late Jan. I was working out before I joined - since Nov, but after joining in Jan, I started calorie counting (obvioulsy!) and working out even harder. I have had very good results. I have some nice mucles popping out now and Ive lost some pounds and inches. A few of my size 8's are getting lose now. I still eat between 1200 - 1700 cal on most days. RARELY I am around 900 and on a splurge day knock that number up to 2000 - 2500. I try to make my calories count. My diary is public, if you care to look. I walk 4 miles usually 4X - 5X a week and I do spin 2X a week and weight training/ toning 2X a week.
Bottom line is Im getting fairly quick results, looking and feeling better!
And then the nay sayers come in...
There are 2 in particular. They are telling people I am anorexic. I have had 2 family members in the last two days COME AND SEE ME, because someone (Im not revealing who they are, but ONE person is related thru marriage) told them I am anorexic and ugly thin. I am NOT ugly thin. I am still 149 pounds for gods sake at 5 feet 8.5 inches. I am a size 8! My waist is a 30!
I AM losing about 10 more lbs. I WILL get to my goal. Imjust so dang irratated.
PMS is making me vocal. :huh:

Replies

• FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Obviously they've seen too many Lifetime Movies. You look AMAZING! Not anorexic at all!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others say - I bet they are just jealous that you are getting healthy... Its about how you feel about yourself not what others think.

I have been trying to lose 10 pounds for the last few years and people would tell me I looked fine - but it was about how I felt about me and how I wasn't comfortable in my own skin. Just let it go and maybe say a prayer for the person that obviously doesn't care enough about you to talk to you instead of talking behind your back.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them, keep what you are doing.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5" and weight 155, people say the same thing to me, that I'm too skinny and I dont need to lose anymore weight, even though I want to get to 145. I'm having one heck of a time getting there. I'm exercising like crazy, changing up my routine and still nothing. Very frustrating. But I dont care what anyone says about my weightloss, I was 130, but I will be very happy with 145.
  • alexis92
    alexis92 Posts: 64
    Options
    don't listen to those awful nay sayers! unless they are doctors, they don't know what they're talking about, and even if they ARE doctors, they are not YOUR doctor and don't know what's best for you. you should be so proud of your work! i joined MFP in January and haven't lost nearly as much weight as you. good job sticking up for yourself and keeping your goals!
  • Buckwheat38
    Options
    its good to vent, makes you get the ugly out, you look amazing, far from anorexic and screw them, they're jaleous :wink:
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    When I was losing weight the first time around my father told me I looked like karen carpenter...before all I heard was "are you going to eat that?" from my mother...it was very irritating!
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    Thank you guys :) Maybe Ill take some new pics soon.

And friend me if ya like! Im usually pretty positive LOL
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Frustrating right? I've never been called anorexic or had people concerned about my health but I've jokingly been called a skinny ***** on more than one occasion by a friend and her mother and sisters. Whatever. I let it roll off my back.
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE SAYING S*#$ like that when it is NOT warranted!!!!!!I am 136 pounds and 5'3".Do I even look thin?!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!! A lot of people are dealing with the same thing!!!and guess what?I plan on losing 11 pounds by my bday on June 1 and more than that after so there!!!!!when you look at the BMI it is nowhere near unhealthy!!!!!! so I don't know what to say to you except I understand and I am SICK of people telling me I look great and encouraging me to drink and eat. Because of these fools I drank and ate like an idiot this weekend because I was with them all weekend!and it put me back in my goal!so NO more!!! I am just going to do my thing and you should just agree with people and not let them know you are going for more. or just tell them you gained some back so you are just trying to lose 1 or 2 pounds;) keep venting it helps!!!!!!!oy!!!!!!!!!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to have a chat with the gossip girl!
  • K33pingFaith
    Options
    Ya don’t worry about what people say. I have had the same issues and i just think is jealousy. when i was 215 pounds everyone will tell me to stop eating because i was getting too fat and now that i am losing weight they are saying i am starving myself, again trying to make me to feel bad about myself. Do you and don’t pay attention to people, keep smiling when you see them, that will really get to them lol. You look amazing by the way :-)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    They're just jealous.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    149lbs and anorexic?? Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me.
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried this already, google 'weight chart". Weight watchers puts your healty range at 132 to 164 lbs.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me I am getting "obsessed" because I walked across my university courtyard to the gym to weigh myself (don't have a scale in res). I weigh in once a week, if even that! She thinks because I'm exercising six times a week and watching what I eat I'm too focussed on fitness. Hardly. My diet is still not at all what it should be and everyone should get at least as much exercise as I'm getting.

People are too hyper-aware of eating disorders and too placid about the other extreme (the severe dangers of excess weight and that of a sedentary lifestyle at any weight). Tell them you're well within the healthy range for your height and caring about one's health/appearance isn't the same as being consumed by it.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    On a similar note I think I am dealing with a little jealousy. No, wait. A lot. It is really a lonely road when some people you care about get unhappy that you are making progress, yet are completely unable to convince themselves to go down a similar road. Misery truly loves company.

I have gained a perspective on having to (sadly) leave some people behind on this quest. I really wanted to bring them along, and continue to hope I can be there when they change their mindset. I know it will be better if I can be there, because I look back at the long, hard days I spent, trudging to my workout area which isn't the most comfortable place to be, alone on those cold rainy winter days, where at times it seemed I was not going to gain any benefit, feeling discouraged, etc. Those were the times I dearly wished someone, anyone, was working with me, either together or as a mentor.

I want so bad for them to join me...go ahead, collapse on the first pushup, only do half the curls at a fraction of the weight, collapse in an exhausted heap during yoga,... whatever...as long as I can help them back up and reassure them it will get better. Because I can tell them I was there, and I can provide the needed motivation where I myself missed it.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation when I first trimmed down from being size 18 or so to 4. I am 5'5" and weighed 150# for crying out loud, but I still got the "we're coming to you for your own good" talk from some coworkers concerned about my "anorexia". Dr told me I could lose more weight if I wanted to, but I relaxed about it. Over the next 4 years or so put on 15 pounds or so and then quit smoking and put on 20 more. I've lost that 20 and now am all about becoming and staying a size 4 again!

You probably don't look like you weigh as much as you do. I am the weigh in monitor @ a fitness challenge I started at my job. I told a couple of participants that I weigh more than they do and they kinda accused me of lying. Mom always said I was solid, I guess she was right!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've had family members, who really do mean the best, tell me they're concerned if I'm overweight, and that they're concerned I'm anorexic if I get to a decent weight. I say ignore the comments and forge ahead with your goal. I'm down 35 and have about 15 to go- I always want to respond to people who tell me I don't need to lose any more weight that THEY don't see me naked, so they dont' really know! ;o)
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I have had the same thing...I have lost a lot of body fat, which makes me seem smaller than I am. I am also 5'9", so maybe it goes with being taller and losing weight?? Taller people in general can weigh more while looking like they weigh less, I think, especially if you have a larger frame. I consistently have people think that I weigh 10lbs less than I really do. Jealousy is a green eyed monster :wink: