Is it bad to drink too much water? went over protein too

Options
Aloxander
Aloxander Posts: 121 Member
I drink about 3 liters of water each day? Is this bad? I used to drink 6 liters but I was told once not to drink to much. I am overall healthy but am thirsty all the time.

I also went over my protein. :ohwell: Is that not good?

Replies

• DaisyBayberry
    Options
    Hmmmm....I would definitely check with your doctor if you are still thirsty after drinking that much. That could be a warning sign of certain medical issues. I would call the doctor just to rule out any problems you may be having.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water myself, but I feel it is good for me.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3 liters of water each day? Is this bad? I used to drink 6 liters but I was told once not to drink to much. I am overall healthy but am thirsty all the time.

I also went over my protein. :ohwell: Is that not good?

3 liters is fine, especially if you live somewhere warm or work out. You can really only drink too much water if you are slamming it down in large quantities in less than an hour or two. So it would be dangerous to drink all 3 liters in the span of an hour or so, but not across the day.

However, if you are this thirsty all the time, you ought to discuss that with your doctor as a medical issue could be causing the excessive thirst.

MFP has protein levels set extremly low, so I would in no way worry about exceeding MFP's protein goals.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Three Liters is equivalent to about 12 cups, I don't think that is too bad, the six liters unless you were exercising a bunch is overkill. The protein is set very low on My Fitness Pal. Unless you were way over like triple the number I wouldn't worry about it. Better to be over on protein than carbs.
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I need to know the same thing! I drink anywhere from 12 to 24 glasses of water a day but had to back down to closer to 12 because several people were telling me I was overdoing it and it wasn't good for me. As for the protein I saw someone else post that the protein is set very low on here, on average, so I guess that's why I keep going over. As for whether or not that's good I don't know, wish I could help! If you get a response & find out let me know! Thanks for the post!
  • Shadbad
    Shadbad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    the main thing i would be careful of is if you drink too much water you flush out too much sodium.
  • reymemo
    reymemo Posts: 8
    Options
    if you drink too much water all at once, say you are running and just drink water, you will deplete the salt in your body. If you are drinking water spaced out throughout the day while eating normally you should be fine. If you're body is thirsty you will know. About the protein, they set it way too low in my opinion so even if you did go over, youll just pee it out.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    WATER is SO good for us... who told you you were drinking too much and why?
    assuming you are here at MFP working out -- water is the best thing you can do to replenish yourself and combat sore muscles
    i drink TONS of water and it's still usually not enough... the 8 cups/glasses guideline is only a guideline...
    I just go by what my folks taught me... if your pee is any colour besides "clear" you need to drink more water!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Interesting thread! Personally, due to paying closer attention to Nutritional Info I'm a little freaked out by just how much Sodium is in _so many_ of our readily available (packaged) foods-- but, water flushing out too much sodium? really??? i had never heard that!...wish I could do that!!! apparently consuming more potassium will help counteract high sodium levels though...
    the main thing i would be careful of is if you drink too much water you flush out too much sodium.