At first, exercise can feel like torture....

Options
Daily Inspiration for March 22, 2011
Katie Jay, MSW

Exercise.

Perhaps you would prefer not to exercise. It takes time, it's hard, and you don't like to sweat. But even though you can think of a thousand excuses why you do not want to (or think you can't) exercise, you know in the long run it will make you feel better.

At first, exercise can feel like torture, but if you stay vigilant you will find you become stronger and have more energy. Exercise also relieves stress. Working out your tensions with sweat helps to unburden your soul. And you just might find yourself feeling more cheerful. Prioritize exercise like you prioritize brushing your teeth, drinking water, or taking your medicine. For long-term weight loss success and maintenance, it is as essential.

Action for the day: In your journal, make a list of activities you like to do that involve moving your body. These activities do not have to be formal exercise. Pick one activity and do it today.

Replies

• zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Very true!!!
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    Wow- I was just thinking about this just now as I was working out. I haven't exercised for about a year (maybe a few times here and there) and started working out again last week. It WAS torture!! This week though, not so bad- in fact, pretty good!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I hear ya'.

But I am also finding that the same exercises that I did when I first started are causing my muscles to ache. For example, I could do lunges before without a problem, but now I am feeling the burn. Perhaps I am doing them more "correctly?"
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Amen! I think it took a year of me exercising on a regular basis for me to actually LOOK FORWARD to it. Now, I catch myself thinking about it when I'm stressed (which is a far cry from me thinking about BEER!) :drinker:
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mollie!
  • MPJS
    MPJS Posts: 465
    Options
    Thank you Mollie sound advice!
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump