Calling all nerds =] Calorie and Weight Data Analysis

Options
For all you math geeks out there... First let me tell you something about myself, I LOVE excel. It is unexplainable my love for this program.

Needless to say I have a huge excel data file filled with weight and calorie information from me. I have only been keeping real track for about 11 weeks now so I only have 11 data points, but I made two very useful scatter plots: Average Weekly Calorie Deficit V. Weight Loss and Average Weekly Net Calories V. Weight Loss. I then fit these data points with a parabola (I chose a parabola because theoretically if your calorie intake is too low or too high you will gain weight). The peak of these two parabolas is the conditions for maximal weight loss!! Approx 350 calorie deficit and 1200 net calories ( Well would ya look at that... my data supports MFP's suggested optimal caloric intake).

I should explain that my calorie deficit (mentioned above) is calculated by my BMR minus the calories I ate that day. I calculate my BMR daily from an equation I found online that takes into account height, weight, sex, and age.

So yeah, bottom line... this is why I am going to be in Biomedical Engineering, because I compuslively do this type of this... maybe I can write a paper about it and get published... I would probably need a larger sample size than just myself.... Hehe =]

I just wanted to share my awesome math project with all of MFP and see if there are any uber nerds out there who think this is the awesomest thing since sliced bread, because I totally do.

The coolest part is that my optimal weekly net calories is 1200...

If you are interested in talking more nerdy math stuff or want to see my data, feel free to message me =D

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Ill be a test subject!! LOL
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Plug in my numbers girl, and have at it!!!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    For all you math geeks out there... First let me tell you something about myself, I LOVE excel. It is unexplainable my love for this program.

Needless to say I have a huge excel data file filled with weight and calorie information from me. I have only been keeping real track for about 11 weeks now so I only have 11 data points, but I made two very useful scatter plots: Average Weekly Calorie Deficit V. Weight Loss and Average Weekly Net Calories V. Weight Loss. I then fit these data points with a parabola (I chose a parabola because theoretically if your calorie intake is too low or too high you will gain weight). The peak of these two parabolas is the conditions for maximal weight loss!! Approx 350 calorie deficit and 1200 net calories ( Well would ya look at that... my data supports MFP's suggested optimal caloric intake).

I should explain that my calorie deficit (mentioned above) is calculated by my BMR minus the calories I ate that day. I calculate my BMR daily from an equation I found online that takes into account height, weight, sex, and age.

So yeah, bottom line... this is why I am going to be in Biomedical Engineering, because I compuslively do this type of this... maybe I can write a paper about it and get published... I would probably need a larger sample size than just myself.... Hehe =]

I just wanted to share my awesome math project with all of MFP and see if there are any uber nerds out there who think this is the awesomest thing since sliced bread, because I totally do.

The coolest part is that my optimal weekly net calories is 1200...

If you are interested in talking more nerdy math stuff or want to see my data, feel free to message me =D

*boregasm*

KIDDING! Really...just joking. I'm impressed, but totally over my head on a thread like this. Hard to believe I was a math major for a while in college. I think smart people are awesome.
  • lornainak
    lornainak Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    feel free to plug in my bloody numbers too!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    haha I luv u.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You are too cool. I'm an excel geek too and plug my info into a spreadsheet too to check the trends--I just pull my numbers into a pivot table and look at it every which way (trends for weekends vs. week nights, by month, week, year,etc).....absolutely love it. I have graphed but am more of a numbers gal so tend to look at it this way. I so can't wait until they offer a download of this info (hope it's in the works....) because I can't do all the things I want to do (like with the nutrient information) because typing anything other than net calories in by hand for any length of time would be no fun. Good luck with everything!
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow that is pretty cool I wouldn't mind if u wanna figure out mine but I don't keep track so well!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do the same thing, i am just not that computer savy!! Nice work!
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Fairly awesome! I'd love to get info on it. Is it something you've done that can be sent to someone else or can we only send you our info? Glad we're friends, you're twelve kinds of awesome! =)
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I'm an excel nerd myself and would love to see it if you're open to sharing it
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My **exact** optimal stats are

Net Calories: 1145
    Daily Deficit: 354
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'll a test subject to the best of my ability :)
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hey plug my numbers in! I'm really curious!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I found no correlation between how many calories I burned and weight loss. And its more dependent on net calories than deficit calories.... interesting....
  • fitness_warrior83
    Options
    Ill be a test subject!