scale obsession....

Options
Does anyone have the issue of weighing themselves excessively. I didn't have a very good weekend (eating wise), of course I see an increase in the scale and I knew I would, but why I can't help myself I don't know. Does anyone have this problem? If so, what do you do to stop it or control yourself. I am not one of those people who believe in weighing themselves daily. Suggestions would be a big help, and I had an increase of 8lbs from friday!!! And I didn't consume more than 1800 cals on friday, saturday or sunday!!
thanks
ashley

Replies

• Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Usually never again during the day but I do it at least once every day.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering scale addict. Everytime I walked in the bathroom I was obsessing over the dumb thing.

Take the scale & put it somewhere it isn't staring at you all day. A closet. The basement. On top of the fridge. Take the batteries out of it!

Good luck to you! It can become very overwhelming!
  • firefighterswife58
    Options
    I have dealt with this issue. It makes me wanna give up bc of my obsession. I went a WHOLE week without weighing myself!! I was so excited to weigh in.. I think it keeps me motivated!
  • beckyboowoo
    Options
    Hi Ashley,

I threw my scales out, sounds drastic but it worked for me. I "threw" them to my neighbour and asked if I could come once a week to use them, that way, I literally COULDN'T obsess and look sane lol. I found it helped me stay on tract as I knew I was approachhing weigh in day and as I wanted to see a good result, worked really hard and kept of track especially well the days leading up to weigh in, the addd bonus is that seeing a positive (well negative) loss on the scales also helped for the days after weigh in as when you're feeling good, it's easier to stay on track. Good luck, let me knwo what you decide to do and how it works for you.
  • glcarr65
    glcarr65 Posts: 74
    Options
    I was only weighing myself once a week, but this week i had no loss and I really thought I would.
    I really thought about giving up but I have noticed my clothes are fitting better so I know I am loosing inches and that is more important.

I have decided to not weigh myself for a while. I have a pair of shorts that I really want to wear on vacation, so I have decided
    I am going to try those shorts on until they fit.... I would much rather say I wear a certain size rather than saying I weight this amount.

Try something like that maybe...

Good luck to you...:smile:
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering scale addict. Everytime I walked in the bathroom I was obsessing over the dumb thing.

Take the scale & put it somewhere it isn't staring at you all day. A closet. The basement. On top of the fridge. Take the batteries out of it!

Good luck to you! It can become very overwhelming!

Thank you, never thought about that, I'm going to put it in the closet downstairs!
  • shug458
    shug458 Posts: 99
    Options
    I am in the same boat as far as the scale obsession :( I weigh myself daily BUT don't "count" my weigh in until Fridays which is 1 week. I know it's bad but for me it helps me keep on track with myself. I think it's impossible for you to gain 8lbs since Friday - that would be very very difficult sooooooooo my suggestion in all honesty is grab a new battery for your scale. :)
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    I weigh daily. Morning and night LOL I personally dont get discouraged by the daily fluctuations, but I do it to stay on track.
  • blanklogic2154
    blanklogic2154 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I keep my scale in the garage. It is out of the way of my daily routine, so I think less about weighing myself as often.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    yeah i do too :(
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself only twice a week. And I only mark down the weight from my "official" weigh in day (Monday). I do like to check around the middle of the week (Thursday) to see if I am on track for the week or not.
  • KG706
    KG706 Posts: 6
    Options
    I go in waves. There are some weeks when I will obsess about it, and others where I'll weigh in once a week and be fine with it. I did as 3babybeans suggested and put the darn thing away. If it takes effort to get it out, I'm less likely to obsess over it.

I would say, if you didn't go over 1800 cal any day this weekend, that the number might have something to do with water retention. Were you eating high salt foods? Just a thought. Stay off the scale a couple of days, get back on track and try again at the end of the week.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I never had a scale in my house until about 2 months ago, I would go to my parents house and weigh in, idk why in the heck I purchased one, maybe to punish myself lol, thats what it felt like today!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh yourself, go ahead and do it. Just don't count it or consider it written in stone until your weigh in day. Lots of things can fluctuate during the week before weigh in.

I weigh myself once every day but only count it once a week.
  • ToniAnn411
    Options
    Sorry, can't help you. I'm a scale *kitten*. I weight myself everyday, and sometimes a few times during the night if I get up to use the "potty". For me it helps me keep myself in check.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weight my self ever morning an write it down on a page tacked to the back of the bathroom closet door.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    As far as the 8 lbs go...don't get discouraged...most of it is probably water weight from consuming too much sodium. You would have had to have eaten 28,000 calories and burned off none of them to gain 8 lbs...and I seriously doubt you did that.

I weigh myself most days, but only really pay attention to Monday mornings, because that's my weight-in day. If it's becoming an addiction and you obsess over it, I agree with the others - put it somewhere else...out of sight, out of mind.
  • kimialibby
    kimialibby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself dailly to keep myself on track... I belive this also goes hand in hand with a food/excercise journal to be able to explain the fluctuations in the number on the scale..
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i didn't have a problem until it was a week and a half of me weighing in and not losing...so i told my husband to take the scales and hide them and only let me have them on wednseday of every week....i didn't want to become obsessed with what the scale had to say to me...lol...it has almost been a week and i don't miss the aggrevation that i was having every morning...but on the other hand it gives me something to look forward to :tongue:
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Morning and night LOL I personally dont get discouraged by the daily fluctuations, but I do it to stay on track.

I do the same thing -- if only to prove how fickle the scale is. I was "bad" yesterday, but not terribly so. And I ended up losing a pound -- so I know that weight fluctuates day to day. Last week, I was gaining so much that if I had weighed in only once / week, I would have been discouraged. Plus, the jeans that had been feeling looser were suddenly getting tighter. But I knew that I was still doing the right things, and the scale turned back around.

I am really trying to look at the positives -- I am logging what I eat, I am eating more nutritional food, and exercising. The weight will come.