Water questions

thcri
thcri Posts: 459 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I mostly drink water with my Protein Shakes but if I need to eat down some calories I sometimes will drink milk with my shake. And like tonight where I burned off 940 calories from a work out the instructions on the Whey Protein will tell me to use two scoops. So tonight with my normal meal I had 16oz of milk, two scoops of Whey Protein. Milk is mostly water, should I be adding glasses of water when I drink milk?

Replies

• Nope.

The "8 glasses" of water thing is a bit of misinformation, the original study that sparked that notion *includes* the water in food. I think there might be something to increasing water intake *while dieting* as it increases oxidation of fat, but if you felt like you were getting enough water before, replacing it with milk shouldn't be a problem.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    water is water all other liquids need to be processed by your body first to use the water. consider it a bonus and log only water.
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    water is water all other liquids need to be processed by your body first to use the water.

I don't think so. First off, to answer the OP, milk is ~87% water, skim milk having more even. Count it or don't count it, your decision.

Now I don't understand why the body would need to 'process' liquids to use the water in them. Water added to liquids creates a homogeneous, aqueous solution. What I mean to say is, when you add water to milk in the factory, or you add a packet of crystal light to your bottle of water, the composition of water (H20) doesn't change, it's simply distributed evenly and everything is mixed. Your body doesn't need to break any bonds or process anything, since no bonds are formed...H20 doesn't change. It is free to diffuse into your cells.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
This discussion has been closed.