Does eating certain foods make you more hungry?

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wondering about this as I ate some things yesterday that made me want to eat more food when I wasn't even hungry.

I found an article on it at this site:http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diet-fitness/can-eating-sugar-make-you-hungry.html

Anyone else had this experience?

Connie Lynn

Replies

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering about this as I ate some things yesterday that made me want to eat more food when I wasn't even hungry.

I found an article on it at this site:http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diet-fitness/can-eating-sugar-make-you-hungry.html

Anyone else had this experience?

Connie Lynn
  • ztbetts
    ztbetts Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes. If I eat something with a lot of sugar, I am hungry all day and want more sweet things.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Sugar, white flour and artificial sweeteners used to be my demons.

Come to find out, I'm allergic to wheat. I've also discovered that brown sugar or maple syrup or honey do not effect me the same way as white sugar. (there's a small nutrient value to them, so they're not "empty" like refined sugar)

I still occassionally indulge in a diet soda, and wham, I'm starving.

And, high fructose corn syrup? Don't get me started.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sugar, white flour and artificial sweeteners used to be my demons.

Come to find out, I'm allergic to wheat. I've also discovered that brown sugar or maple syrup or honey do not effect me the same way as white sugar. (there's a small nutrient value to them, so they're not "empty" like refined sugar)

I still occassionally indulge in a diet soda, and wham, I'm starving.

And, high fructose corn syrup? Don't get me started.
    HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP IS THE WORST FOR ME! My body does not like it and tries to get rid of it as fast as possible. So I GUESS in a way it is good for me because it can clean a lot with it I guess.
    But I have to say, before I developed the alergy to sugar it DID in fact make me want to eat more. Now the artificial stuff does that. I can not drink a diet soda without that hungry feeling in my tummy. I wonder why that is??
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've read that artificial sweeteners tell your body that you've eaten, as your body treats them like sugar.

Then, I think your body might say: "hey, what gives, where's the food?"

I have the same issue with gum. It makes me hungry. (and bloaty)

Just my theory. . .
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I get hungry after the gym too. Now I just work out before lunch or dinner and start out with the veggies first.

Processed food - it's not real food - white flour - white sugar - HFCS, etc. The companies take food and take all the good stuff out then they add vitamins back in? and this is somehow cheaper that getting it in its natural state? Weird.

Off my soapbox - A month after I started the "no white flour" thing, we went to my old favorite pizza place. I ate a salad and almost half a pizza - I was hungry a few hours later! Lucky for me, I found a place in town that serves whole wheat pizzas :happy:

So yes, certain foods make you hungry and eat more.