90 lbs lost in under 20 weeks!

Options
slapshotgolf
slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
In 2 days I will have been an MFP member for 20 weeks. And what a 20 weeks it has been. This morning I clocked in at 290 lbs, 90 lbs less than my weight on November 10th when I stumbled onto the MFP app playing around with my new iphone. For awhile I had felt that I needed to do something - again -about my weight. I've been "stout", "heavy", "overweight" for most of my life, with the exception of a brief period about 17 yrs ago when I did heavy manual labour working part time in my last year of university. Since then, I've held various "office" jobs, where my sedentary lifestyle contributed to year after year of weight gain. I did occasionally "diet", with varied success. Each time I would enjoy early success, and eventually fail within a month or two, and gain back all the weight, and then some. This marks the longest successful weight loss, and by far the greatest amount to date. And I still have some distance to go. However this time around, a little older, a little wiser, I have recognized that I didn't need a "diet", but rather a lifestyle change supported by the tools and people to help me succeed.

Lifestyle change: Diets alone do not work. Restricitive diets which prohibit certain types of food provide short term success, and ultimately real life sets in, setbacks occur, and we give up. You must incorporate an exercise regimen, based on whatever you are able to do at this time (walk, jog, run). You must be mentally prepared to undertake a lifestyle change, and not just diet.

Tools: That's where MFP has been so helpful. What a great free tool available at our fingertips, and with the mobile capability to keep track of everything with ease. The database of foods is reasonably accurate, and you have the flexibility of entering your own data if you choose. It allows tracking to be realistic, as many day to day foods are found easily. With the money I saved by not having to pay "membership" fees on commercial sites, I purchased an HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) which accurately tracks calories burned. I used it for all my workouts now. Best money I've spent.

People: For those of you that are new, you've stumbled on to a great site, with great people united by a common cause, who continually support each other. Waste no time in asking to be someone's "friend" and share each other's diaries. Not only do you get great support, but you build a group of people that you become accountable to. It makes it almost impossible to fail.

Thank you to all my MFP friends, and for those of you that wish to, send me a friend request and feel free to look through my diary over the last 5 months.

I'll post again shortly when I get to 92.5 lbs lost, which is my halfway mark on this journey, and I'll post some more pictures at 100 lbs lost.

SSG

Replies

• millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
    PS you are so right about this not being a diet but a life style change!
  • slapshotgolf
    Options
    Congrats on your success as well!
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! That's fantastic. Keep it up!
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! GREAT JOB!! This is a great encouraging story!!
  • jaded42
    jaded42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You have been doing so great!!! Keep up the amazing work that you're doing!! Like I have said once before...you have been an inspiration to me..with my own lifestyle change! I have "dieted" on and off for so many years..but when it came down to it..I had to decide to completely change my lifestyle..the way I eat..and to make sure I exercise..Im starting off slowly I guess..but every little bit counts!!
  • paulandrea
    paulandrea Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! congrats:wink:
  • Melonmorrow
    Melonmorrow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thats Awesome and very inspiring : )
  • slapshotgolf
    Options
    You're doing great too - keep it up!
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding! Keep up the fabulous work. :happy:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Well done, you have done amazingly well :-)
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Your story has so many parallels with my own experince with this site and my adventures in trying to get to a healthy weight the first time! Thanks for the post. I feel this time is different,it feels doable for life. Still sometime my past experinces/habits bring fear to my heart that i might fail again. I know i can get this ! this time feels "right"! a new lifestyle for a new lease on life! Thanks again for the inspiration and good luck on your journey!
    3697427.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    Perseverance and determination has paid off for you.

Congratulations and be well and happy.
    I:flowerforyou:
  • lmvrbaby
    lmvrbaby Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    That's Truly amazing! Congrats on a job well done!
  • Shawnarose
    Shawnarose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are total inspiration that we all can do this! Thank you for posting - GREAT JOB!
  • PDC72601
    PDC72601 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Way to go.
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    Amazing weight loss. Very encouraging for us all. Keep up the great work!
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I did the same, from Sept to Feb lost a 100 LBS, I lost 15 before joining here. Keep it up.

quote]
    In 2 days I will have been an MFP member for 20 weeks. And what a 20 weeks it has been. This morning I clocked in at 290 lbs, 90 lbs less than my weight on November 10th when I stumbled onto the MFP app playing around with my new iphone. For awhile I had felt that I needed to do something - again -about my weight. I've been "stout", "heavy", "overweight" for most of my life, with the exception of a brief period about 17 yrs ago when I did heavy manual labour working part time in my last year of university. Since then, I've held various "office" jobs, where my sedentary lifestyle contributed to year after year of weight gain. I did occasionally "diet", with varied success. Each time I would enjoy early success, and eventually fail within a month or two, and gain back all the weight, and then some. This marks the longest successful weight loss, and by far the greatest amount to date. And I still have some distance to go. However this time around, a little older, a little wiser, I have recognized that I didn't need a "diet", but rather a lifestyle change supported by the tools and people to help me succeed.

Lifestyle change: Diets alone do not work. Restricitive diets which prohibit certain types of food provide short term success, and ultimately real life sets in, setbacks occur, and we give up. You must incorporate an exercise regimen, based on whatever you are able to do at this time (walk, jog, run). You must be mentally prepared to undertake a lifestyle change, and not just diet.

Tools: That's where MFP has been so helpful. What a great free tool available at our fingertips, and with the mobile capability to keep track of everything with ease. The database of foods is reasonably accurate, and you have the flexibility of entering your own data if you choose. It allows tracking to be realistic, as many day to day foods are found easily. With the money I saved by not having to pay "membership" fees on commercial sites, I purchased an HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) which accurately tracks calories burned. I used it for all my workouts now. Best money I've spent.

People: For those of you that are new, you've stumbled on to a great site, with great people united by a common cause, who continually support each other. Waste no time in asking to be someone's "friend" and share each other's diaries. Not only do you get great support, but you build a group of people that you become accountable to. It makes it almost impossible to fail.

Thank you to all my MFP friends, and for those of you that wish to, send me a friend request and feel free to look through my diary over the last 5 months.

I'll post again shortly when I get to 92.5 lbs lost, which is my halfway mark on this journey, and I'll post some more pictures at 100 lbs lost.

SSG
    [/quote]
  • kaylah_x
    kaylah_x Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE! You have done such a great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!