Calorie counter

Options
I have notice that after running/walking for 40min that it said i have burned 600 something calories. First off I know myself that there is noway. And i went to three or four other websites and they said 400 calories. Does anybody have any answers?

Replies

• precious71701
    Options
    All I can sayis make sure you are checking the correct pace that you were walking...I walked about 35 min at a brisk pace and got about 200 calories...
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    It really depends quite a bit on how fast you are running, but 600 sounds way too high to me. I know as a very general rule you burn approximately 100/mile, but again it depends upon your speed and your weight.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The one way you can know for sure what YOU burned is if you hook yourself up to a heart rate monitor. The calories on here are not accurate. They were put in by someone else
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For me, running is more work than most any other exercise so those numbers look reasonable to me. You might want to invest in a heart rate monitor that will more accurately tell you your calories burned.
  • Bunniwithani
    Options
    I stopped using the exercise calculators on here they aren't very accurate and vary from every site I've checked out. I went and got a heart rate monitor and then looked up the equation for calories burned and found a website that does it for you.

Here's the equation if anyone wants it for a women:
    Equation calories burned = (0.074 x age in years - 0.05741 x weight in pounds + 0.4472 x average heart rate - 20.4022) x time elapsed / 4.184.