Need to eat more?!

Options
I know this is bizarre but has anyone had the problem of being under their daily required calorie intake?
I am under because I am banking 400+ calories a day due to my exercise regimen which is moderate at best. Fast walking on the treadmill, 10+ minutes on the elliptical and a few strength training lifts with weights.
Some days I am really not hungry enough to eat 1200 or 1600 calories.
Any ideas or advice would be great.

Replies

• JMatGam
    JMatGam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    High protein to keep your energy up. Maybe you could snack on cheese?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on the days that I go to the gym. I earn as extra 600 cal. which brings me close to 2000 for the day. Honestly, I don't really worry about, or I try to plan my days at the gym to coincide with days I know i will "waste" calories--like if I'm planning to have a few drinks with friends. I've only been on for a few weeks, but being under (or even over) by a couple hundred calories hasn't seemed to hurt--I've lost 6lbs. in less than 3 weeks so I'm meeting my goal.

Is not meeting your calorie goal hindering your weight loss?
  • lperezlopes
    Options
    I am the same! In fact I just made myself eat an apple and cheese stick so that I would make it over 1200 calories. You need to eat at least 1200 so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Try yogurt or a smoothie as a way to boost your calories without feeling overly full.
  • jesstanner
    Options
    I was told I needed to gain 10 pounds, I never thought it would be hard! But it is
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've seen this a lot lately. That lack of hunger could be, possibly, that your metabolism is slowing to meet your low calorie intake.

There's also a possibly that that's not the case.

I struggle to understand how someone can have trouble eating 1200 calories a day. The Good Lord must have made us all different, because I struggle eating under 2000 calories on most days!

You could try adding strength-training to your exercise routine. That may pep up the appetite a bit as well as speed up the metabolism. (When I started doing weights, my appetite grew.) Plus, it'll help you keep your muscle and lose fat, which is what eating enough calories helps with as well.

Otherwise, to load up your calories, try calorie-dense, healthy choices, like nuts or peanut butter. Foods that have a low glycemic index are sometimes more calorie-heavy than foods that don't, but they are healthier. Fiber tends to have some calorie power behind it as well, but it's also healthy.
  • thomasdebraann
    thomasdebraann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it might be hindering my weight loss...I gained 2 lbs even though I increased the intensity of my work out last week and added a few extra minutes to the daily total. GRRR
  • thomasdebraann
    Options
    I am the same! In fact I just made myself eat an apple and cheese stick so that I would make it over 1200 calories. You need to eat at least 1200 so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Try yogurt or a smoothie as a way to boost your calories without feeling overly full.

lperezlopes: I think I have not eaten the 1200 but have been at or close to everyday. A few days I wasn't close because of the extra calories I earned working out!
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    I am the same too :) My goal is 1900 (only trying to lose 1/2lb per week since im not over weight. Twice a week i have basketball practice for an hour and a half and that burns about 600-700 calories. Normally it brings me down to 600-800 calories for the day But i don't worry about it as long as I have the nutritions i need, its fine.
  • thomasdebraann
    Options
    Thanks for all the input...I am definitely going to try to eat at least the 1200. Funny, before trying to lose the weight I obviously WAS eating more than that, go figure. I think the increased activity level and focus on exercise has something to do with it. I am more conscious of what I am eating and I am also busier which doesn't allow for mindless eating. My friend has not lost any weight (but I don't know what changes she has made to her diet), but she is SERIOUSLY strength training. I worry the strength training which in my case will include lifting weights, will slow my weight loss more...who knew it would be this tricky. I lost weight much easier 10 yrs ago with a pay program and never exercised and kept it off for eight years until my thyroid went south.
  • JMatGam
    JMatGam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think it might be hindering my weight loss...I gained 2 lbs even though I increased the intensity of my work out last week and added a few extra minutes to the daily total. GRRR
    [/quote

You're not hindering your weight loss. Muscle weighs more than fat and with the intensity of your workouts, it sounds as if you're building muscle, which in turn, burns more calories.]
  • thomasdebraann
    Options
    Thanks everyone...all good ideas! I wont give up and will try your suggestions mostly trying to eat at least the 1200.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have been under every day since I started tracking. I am going through a divorce from my husband and can't seem to eat much. So far it has worked in my favor, I have lost 18 lbs, but I'm sure it will catch up soon and I will have to eat more.