Question for the runners out there

Options
About a week ago I last ran 1.20 miles. Life has been sooooo crazy since then that I haven't been able to do it again. The last couple days or so I've noticed I've had pain in my left ankle whenever I walk. That's the only time it hurts. It doesn't matter what kind of shoes I've worn either. Tomorrow morning I'd like to wake up early and run a little bit before work. Would it be a good idea to do it? Or should I wait out this random ankle pain problem and see if it goes away? Whatever the issue is I don't know if I should run through the pain and possibly make it worse. Suggestions please?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    id try stretching it out tonight (foot circles, pointing/flexing foot, etc) and see how it feels tomorrow. Are the shoes you run in properly fitted for you? ...shoes are usually the reason for pain if they are old (300-400+ miles) or don't fit properly. Go slow tomorrow but if you are really in pain stop and see a dr.

I hope you feel better and get back to running soon :-)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...I'm not sure. Do you think you will be able to run with the ankle pain? I have pain on the side of my left knee but I still run. It's not close to being bad enough to stop me and it hasn't gotten worse. If it's not swollen or anything, you could try it and see how it goes. I'm certainly no expert though!!! I hope it feels better soon!
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some stretching exercises as another MFP suggests. I'd give it a few days to rest up before running again on it. Maybe by one of those pull on ankle supports that you can pick up at WalMart, etc. You may just need more support for running. And if you're shoes are older, I'd suggest buying new ones. That can make a big difference.

Good Luck to you!!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My left ankle hurt last spring after I began training for a 5k or at least I thought it was my ankle. It ended up being a tendon. I didn't stretch properly before I ran and ended up having to wear a brace on my foot for months. Now I always warm up! If it continues, go see an ortho. Hope you get back to running soon! :)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking (and there are so many variables here) if it's a "sharp pain" ... stay off it, may be an injury ... if it's a more dull, sore, ache ... probably nothing to worry about and I'd run with it (being cautious of course) ... granted I'm not a doc, but that's usually a good rule of thumb.