Anything wrong with going over my protein goal?

Options
I workout everyday and a large portion of my workout involves weight lifting but i feel like i am not getting the same growth as I did before my diet so I want to alteast go over my protein limit each day by just having a shake after workout. Is there anything wrong with that?

Replies

• greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I hear it's good to have some extra protein. Not sure how much is good to go over but i go over most of the time to, by maybe 10
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are working out then you are fine to go over your protein goal. It's going over your protein goal when you aren't exercising that can lead to weight gain. Hope this helps!
  • bwleung89
    bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats all I was shooting for, i still remain under my calorie goal with the extra protein.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hi bwleung89. Just curious as to what your macro settings are. I lift 3-4 times weekly.On those days I have one scoop of whey protein with fat free milk within a half hour of working out, then follow it up with 3 oz. of lean protein (usually chicken) for a slower protein feed. I'm a girl, so that makes a difference, but from what I've read, 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat is a good place to start and then tweak from there. You are able to adjust your settings manually in MFP. Good luck with your goals! :smile:
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Staying under your calorie goal is always good but even someone staying under their calorie goal while eating extra protein and not exercising can lead to weight gain. Since you are staying under your calorie goal and only eating extra protein on the days you are exercising then you should be getting awesome results!
    Good Luck
  • bwleung89
    bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi bwleung89. Just curious as to what your macro settings are. I lift 3-4 times weekly.On those days I have one scoop of whey protein with fat free milk within a half hour of working out, then follow it up with 3 oz. of lean protein (usually chicken) for a slower protein feed. I'm a girl, so that makes a difference, but from what I've read, 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat is a good place to start and then tweak from there. You are able to adjust your settings manually in MFP. Good luck with your goals! :smile:

I dont know my macro settings
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You can customize your goals on MFP (one of my favorite things about it!)
    Go under Home, then Food, then Settings, then Goals, then Change Goals (at bottom in green), then check Custom, then Continue. You can then customize what you want to track, and what percentage you want to hit! I think you can track up to 6 things, one of them are automatically calories, so really 5 things. I track calories, protein, carbs, fat, sodium, and something else (I forget!). I hope this helps!