type II diabetes

Options
My husband has recently been diagnosed as a type II diabetic. He does have an appt. with a nutritionist on wednesday but I would love any information, guidance, helpful hints or anything you can offer. I think we're both a little nervouse so I think it's helpful for me to be proactive and learn all I can. We will be doing this together so any recipes would be helpful too. Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• Lindac67241
    Lindac67241 Posts: 314
    Options
    My husband has recently been diagnosed as a type II diabetic. He does have an appt. with a nutritionist on wednesday but I would love any information, guidance, helpful hints or anything you can offer. I think we're both a little nervouse so I think it's helpful for me to be proactive and learn all I can. We will be doing this together so any recipes would be helpful too. Thanks so much!!!

The Atkins diet is suppose to be superb for this! Go to http://www.Atkins.com when you get a chance and research it for yourself. And if you yourself have a little weight to lose, it won't hurt you either. Doing it together until he is completely off his meds/or insulin would be fantanstic. But speak to your doctor about it should you decide to do it the Atkins way. Good Luck !

In fact go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble and read a couple of chapters for yourself.

Hope that helps

Linda
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Typically, there will be carbohydrate limits to his diet. Should be few to no sweets, good exercise, basically how we should all eat. The ADA diet (American Diabetic Assoc) is just about the perfect way to eat. Fruits are counted as carbs as they have natural sugars. Milk also counts as a carb. Protein and veggies are "free" as far as counting toward carbs, but there is usually also a calorie goal for the day as well. Does any of this sound familiar?? Yes, MFP is a good, sound beginning place. Use the guidelines the dietician gives you, but I think you'll find that this site is a good general guide.

Type II diabetes can be reversable if healthy lifestyle choices are incorporated.

Good luck!!
  • LaurenGiannelli
    Options
    Hi there! I am a nursing student at Davenport University and we have learned a lot about diabetes. With type two the cells in the body become more resistant to insulin that is secreted by the pancreas. The main thing to know is that if your husband exercises on a regular basis there is a good chance that he will not need insulin depending on his weight and how long he exercises for. The cells that have become resistant to insulin will become less resistant when a person with type 2 diabetes exercises. This website below I just found and I think will be very helpful and has a lot of information on meals he can eat and fitness information. I hope that helps!

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/
  • BSN2Be
    BSN2Be Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi there! I am a nursing student at Davenport University and we have learned a lot about diabetes. With type two the cells in the body become more resistant to insulin that is secreted by the pancreas. The main thing to know is that if your husband exercises on a regular basis there is a good chance that he will not need insulin depending on his weight and how long he exercises for. The cells that have become resistant to insulin will become less resistant when a person with type 2 diabetes exercises. This website below I just found and I think will be very helpful and has a lot of information on meals he can eat and fitness information. I hope that helps!

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/

It's also important to note that exercise alone will not reverse the insulin resistance. Diet is also key. As stated previously, carbohydrates are really going to need to be watched closely. You can't only do one or the other to maintain or reverse the effects of type II, a combination of diet and exercise are a necessity!
    You can find tons and tons of tips and recipes online, I'm sure there are even online support forums for those who have been diagnosed.
    Best of luck!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Look into Glycemic Index is the best place to start. NOT all vegetables are good. Peas Carrots (Cooked)and any starchy root types are not good to eat should be limited very high in turning to sugar. Watching Carbs is very important, limiting fruit and to eat on an empty stomach is best. Try and limit sugar intake and when having sugar no carbs with it. Balancing food portions and making carbs the lowest amount eaten. I found eating veggies most then protein then carbs balances my sugars. Now everyone is different and its not a perfect science what may work for one wont work for others. Exercise I have found lowers my levels a great deal and that I found is so important.
    Its a learning and testing to see what is best for your husbands levels. Not saying its going to be easy but it can be managed. Its changing how you think about food, for me I eat salad with most meals to help balance all I eat. Also eating smaller meals more often helps too I cant eat 6 times a day but I do eat 4

Good Luck
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    March 1st of last year, I was diagnosed with this, too. I can certainly understand the nervousness, fears and emotions surrounding you and your family. First, take a deep breath. Second, try to see this as a good thing. There are going to be lots of changes but for the better...if you stick with it. Not everyone does, but if your husband does, he'll feel like a new person in no time. :)

You don't need to do Atkins, South Beach or any of that. Your nutritionist should set a calorie goal and tell him how many total carbs he's allowed and how to break them down per meal. Following what the nutritionist says and your doctor, he can have normal ranges within the year.

Yes, he'll need to do some exercising, but it's nothing that's going to be killer. Start slow.

I wrote a blog awhile back of what I've done. Here's the link...it's pretty simple. :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kelika71/view/what-i-ve-done-71725

I promise, it's scary right now, but it does get better if things are followed. :)
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options