Faster or further?

Options
Which is more beneficial? Do I need to run a further distance or do I need to try and run the same distance I have been faster?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It actually doesn't matter - both would be a way of increasing the "load" of your workout. (You can do this three ways - intensity (speed), duration (distance) or frequency (how often you workout). Would you rather workout longer or keep your workouts the same length but push yourself harder (go faster)? Different approaches work for different people. I actually posted a blog about cardiorespiratory fitness - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/accountant_boi/view/cardio-not-just-about-calorie-burn-82317

Here's a site with a lot of good info: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/cardiorespiratory-fitness.aspx
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Both.........interval running is a great way to help you run faster and longer.
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I only have 30 minutes so I run faster and harder during that time. Do whatever you have time for and the will power to do. They are both good options.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You will see a lot of debate on this as people say that lower intensity workouts burn more fat. This is both true and untrue. While it is true that lower intensity workouts burn a higher PERCENTAGE of calories from fats, this doesn't necessarily mean that more fat calories were burned as you can burn more total calories pushing harder and even with a lower PERCENTAGE of them from fat, the total fat calories burned is higher.

That confused me writing it, but I hope you get the gyst. I think that I would suggest that you do what feels right for your body and for keeping you engaged and excited about your work-outs.

Good Luck!

--Carter
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to build up towards a 10k or half-marathon, well then obviously you'll need to keep going longer and increase your distance. But if you're pressed for time a faster workout can be much more efficient in the time that you have to do it in. I would say it's best to keep mixing it up, which will also keep your body challenged so it won't just get accustomed to a certain pace or way of doing things.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Faster. When you heart beats faster you burn more then. If you run further you will still get exercise but your heart is beating at a slow pace and you don't get the full effect.
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    whichever you prefer. For me, I just need _something_ as a goal. Once I finished a half marathon I switched to speed because I just didn't have the time to run for that long anymore. I find distance goals more rewarding and more achievable, but pace goals better for the pace of life.
    Good luck!