Music When You Work Out - Yes Or No?

Options
I've read conflicting reports on this, some say music distracts you from using proper form when you work out, others say it helps you to stay on track. Personally, I use a program that reads the beats per minute of my music and I make playlists based on that. I start slow and build so that I'm going faster at the end of my workout, which I do on the elliptical. I'm curious, what's your take?

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Oh God YES, Yes - have to have music... plus I read somewhere that it also helps people work out longer when they listen to music. I do try not to sing out loud to the music while at the gym, but have caught myself doing just that.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    SING AWAY!! it helps you gauge how hard you are working... I would die without my music... I love it!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, I could spend about 5 minutes on a treadmill without music. Gotta have tunes!
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Even if I am just walking, I always have my music on. It always keeps me from getting bored, and I walk to the beat.
  • sekhmet13
    sekhmet13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Absolutely need music! Keeps my mind off of the boring pedaling on the stationary bike. I also read, and I find that even though I intended to do maybe 20 minutes, I usually go over, which is a good thing.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I flip back and forth between music and podcasts........I love a great long run listening to several podcasts about nutrition, weight loss and triathlon training. my favorite lately is Two Gomers Run a Marathon those guys crack me up!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I flip back and forth between music and podcasts........I love a great long run listening to several podcasts about nutrition, weight loss and triathlon training. my favorite lately is Two Gomers Run a Marathon those guys crack me up!
  • nomayyy
    nomayyy Posts: 28
    Options
    YESSSS!!! Especially when I'm running on a treadmill or a machine in a gym..
    When I'm running outside however, sometimes I don't listen to music. I think it's because there's a constant change in scenery that I don't get bored!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I NEED music when Im doing cardio....if not id die and would have NO motivation to do it for more then 5 minutes
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I say yes. It helps make the workout not so boring & it also helps motivate you when you pick songs that pump you up.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    No music for me - I watch TV!!!! The show has to be good obviously. I don't worry too much about my "form" on the elliptical. I think it is pretty mindless and difficult to mess up!
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I always listen to music.. running.. lifting.. streching.. gotta have it!!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    As long as you can figure out proper form before you go in cranking the music, then music is totally fine! I listen to it... always... unless I'm swimming, at which point I sing songs in my head to pass the time.

Today, for some reason, the Tarzan soundtrack came up on my iPod and I did intervals to all of the heavy drumming and stuff. It's weird what gets me pumped up during workouts! you can also use music to time yourself when you're doing intervals, holding planks, wall sits etc.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love listening to music all the time anyway, so it really is a MUST for me when it comes to working out. I vary the sources all the time (iPod, LastFM, Slacker, podcasts), but I'm always listening to something .
  • gossamyrrh
    Options
    I listen to music more often than not when awake, so its a total necessity for me. I gotta have my bangin bouncy electronic music with loud sub bass and dank beats. ( I love running to some deep dubstep/future garage) Also am good with some instrumental hip-hop and some sludgy metal. It keeps me focused and rockin'
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Yes! I love multitasking. I always listen to music during my runs and watch my form at the same time. The only thing is that people need to be curvaceous when listening to music, b/c I don't want to bother others with my music, and I want to make sure I hear them behind me when I'm on a trail, so I can get out of the way.
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great answers, guys, thanks!

I myself will vary, depending on my mood, but 9 times out of 10 I've got my iPod going with my BPM playlists. I did realize today though I have to make a cool down list! I've been multitasking lately, reading my kindle and listening to music, and somehow my brain still keeps track! My elliptical has built in speakers and a line in jack which makes things much easier. Doesn't have the greatest sound but it's pretty decent, and a lot easier than having to plug my tunes into my regular speakers across the room.

For WifeMomDVM, anything in particular? I like to watch movies that make me want to work out, like Coyote Ugly and Burlesque (yes, I liked that movie!) Curious what you watch, and if it's for motivation or for entertainment. =)
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I download TV shows and watch them on my phone when I am on the elliptical. A 1 hour show without the commercials is about 43 minutes, so it works out perfect!
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I'll have to try that! Thanks! :)