Belly hanging over

Options
I was wondering: for those who have/had belly fat hanging over toward their crotch area- when does that go away? How many pounds have to be lost first? I've lost 28 and am noticing a slight difference..

Replies

• n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    Bump!
  • nthelight079
    Options
    I don't know, but I'm interested to find out, too.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful question! I've lost almost 40lbs and can definitely tell a difference. I'm dying for the day when it will be gone! Or at least for the most part.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body type. Unfortunately, the only way you can target a specific area for fat loss is with liposuction, so just be patient. It'll improve with time. However, if you had a particularly large belly, or you've had kids (and it looks like you have at least one) you'll lose quite a bit of the belly fat, but the extra, stretched skin is there to stay. You'll still look great though!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for all of us. I've lost 23 lbs on this site 36 over all and my belly still hangs. I weigh 219 right now. Keep working on it with cardio and ab work and hopefully it will tighten up. Good luck!
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    YAY!I am not the only one
    haha idk I've lost 70 pounds...don't see that much difference I mean a little yeah but it's still there and it makes it worse when someone grabs it and laughs like a *kitten* -_-
    so BUMP!
  • WalkwithMeLord
    Options
    I agree it really depends on your body and how your body responds to the lost of weight.. Some, it goes away and others the fat leaves on the sub q area and the muscle underneath tightens but the skin has been stretched for so long that stays but is smaller then what it use to be... if you have great abdominal muscles that helps out... one exercise that helps that area is to do crunches with you legs up and slighty bent and it will target the rectus abdominus muscles that run downwards towards your pubis area.. You should see a difference.... dont give up ...it will shrink at least above the pubis area.......Good luck.. Stay focus...
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I was wondering: for those who have/had belly fat hanging over toward their crotch area- when does that go away? How many pounds have to be lost first? I've lost 28 and am noticing a slight difference..

For some people, it will never go away. There is a procedure that is similar to have a tummy tuck that removes it and most insurance companies cover it. It's called a Panniculectomy. It removes the excess fat and skin that hangs down whereas an Adominoplasty (tummy tuck) removes excess skin and fat while tightening the tummy.

The only reason why I know most insurance companies cover it, is because my friend works at a hospital in my area scheduling surgeries and she just scheduled one last week for someone who was on Medicaid (government provided insurance). The reason being, is because unlike a tummy tuck, a Panniculectomy is not cosmetic surgery but more done for health reasons. That skin hanging down can cause infections to start in the legs, lower abdominal region, and groin area.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Every single success story I've seen involved sincere weight training, or intense cardio (HIIT or similar), or both. In other words, REALLY hard work. Lol. But it beats a flabby belly or surgery.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    As far as when you'll see an improvement--imo, it will probably be the later part to go.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Every single success story I've seen involved sincere weight training, or intense cardio (HIIT or similar), or both. In other words, REALLY hard work. Lol. But it beats a flabby belly or surgery.

For some people it will actually never go away. It all depends on how long their skin has been stretch and how far it's been stretched. As much as you tone the muscles, you can't do anything about the elasticity in the skin. Some of it will tighten up but not all of it and again, it just depends on how much the skin has stretched and for how long. My mom is dealing with the same issue after having lost over 100 lbs over the last 2 years. I know surgery is always the last resort but for some (like in my mother's case) it's her only option because it's a life threatening issue at this point.