scared of hitting starvation mode!!

Options
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and to MFP so forgive me if this is a post similar to an existing one. My name is Paola and im 19 and 5"4. I currently weigh 142 lbs but I would like to be 120 lbs. I have been dieting on a 1,200 calorie diet for a week now and it's going great so far! I've lost two pounds (when i started I was 144 lbs). I haven't cut anything out of my diet besides all sodas (I used to drink diet coke like it was water, more than 3 cups a day) and I've been making sure to drink 8 cups of water daily. I have cut out carbs but nothing else. While I don't exercise (I have a crazy work schedule - I have work early in the morning have an hour break for lunch and go straight to college until night time), I am going to try to put in some exercise on the weekends that I have off.

My concern is this: I have been logging my food in MFP daily and I have found that now that I'm paying attention to what I'm eating, I'm not even eating enough to reach 1,200. There were maybe two days where I went 100 calories over. But most of the week I was missing between 30-100 calories. There was one day where I even missed 200! I'm doing this unintentionally and I'm scared of hitting starvation mode. The thing is, I'm not even hungry enough to fill those extra calories. Believe me, if I'm hungry, I'll eat (which I guess was my problem to begin with!).

I was hoping you all could give me some advice and maybe a better explanation of starvation mode. Should I eat anything just to fill up those extra calories? Should I try eating more? Am i doing okay? I don't want to hit that point where I don't lose anything and put my lean tissue and muscles at risk! I've only been on the diet for a week, I just want to make sure I do it right!

Please Help!

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You are right to be scared - you are setting yourself to hit starvation mode. Don't be afraid to go "red" with your calories a little bit. MFP has already set you up with a deficit of at least 500 calories per day so going over a little means you can still lose the weight.

Yep eat more. If you're not hungry - just make yourself snack on a little something. An apple, some carrot sticks, a cup of yogurt - whatever. That would easily give you an extra 100 calories a day.

Also, we ALL have very busy lives and schedules. I'd like to challenge you - we all have 24 hours in a day - it's your CHOICE how you use them. Try to slip in a little exercise when you can. Even if it is something like 5 minutes of jumping jacks before you hop in the shower or a 10 minute walk at lunch.

All of these little things will add up and help you. And remember - if you do exercise - make sure you eat EXTRA calories to make up for it!

Good luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Try eating some higher-calorie but still healthy things like peanut butter, avacados, almonds, walnuts (any nuts), cook with olive oil. A handful of nuts will easily get you 200 calories (around 1/4 cup). Being under 1,200 net calories one day here and there isn't going to do any harm, but please don't undereat on a regular basis. Good luck!
  • rpatterson5
    Options
    If your adding workouts you need to up your intake or you will hit starvation mode..
  • whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    You are right to be scared - you are setting yourself to hit starvation mode. Don't be afraid to go "red" with your calories a little bit. MFP has already set you up with a deficit of at least 500 calories per day so going over a little means you can still lose the weight.

Yep eat more. If you're not hungry - just make yourself snack on a little something. An apple, some carrot sticks, a cup of yogurt - whatever. That would easily give you an extra 100 calories a day.

Also, we ALL have very busy lives and schedules. I'd like to challenge you - we all have 24 hours in a day - it's your CHOICE how you use them. Try to slip in a little exercise when you can. Even if it is something like 5 minutes of jumping jacks before you hop in the shower or a 10 minute walk at lunch.

All of these little things will add up and help you. And remember - if you do exercise - make sure you eat EXTRA calories to make up for it!

Good luck!

Thank you soo much i post a similar post abt under/over cal intake, I get freaked out seeing "red' as well....im sending you a friend request ;) thanks for your help
  • pao821
    pao821 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    So would you all suggest me shooting for 1300-1400 calories?

I accept your challenge! :) I'll speed up my page when I go out to walk the dog