I'm really feeling frustrated!

Options
I started at 262 and am only down to 249 as of last friday. 13 pounds...that is great!

but im hearing A LOT of people who started MFP in january, like me, and are down 20-30+ pounds or more.

I know I am not doing my personal best. I only work out for 25-35 minutes a day. And while it's a good workout, I know I could push myself harder, and/or add more workouts throughout the day!

I seem to be losing a pound a week, which is what ive always heard is "healthy". I think maybe im using that as an excuse. i guess thinking that slow and steady is the best way. but what those people are doing is healthy too, right (as long as they arent starving themselves)?

Why cant I instill it in my head to work HARDER?! I dont work. I'm a stay at home mom. Kids are in bed by 8 most nights, and they play in their room for 1-2 hours a day (by choice- they just love playing together and all the "cool toys" are in their room) so what is my excuse?! what am i so afraid of?!

I WANT TO BE MELTING POUNDS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS! I feel lazy...like a slacker!

WHY can't i bring myself to do this to MY personal best?

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    remember: slow and steady wins the race! the slower you take it off now, the higher your chances are of keeping it all off long term. don't forget that! besides, you don't know what those people are really doing to lose weight. how many of those people have public food and exercise diaries? think about it. we don't always know the full truth. don't worry about or compare yourself to other people on this site. just do you. you can do this :)
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Any weight loss is great! Please don't beat yourself up over it. You are doing great. You should NOT be losing more than 1-2 lbs a week without doctor supervision. Don't compare yourself to others. :wink: Instead, compare your current weight to your initial weight. THAT is your achievement.

If you want, increase your exercise duration or intensity and have a higher calorie deficit (as long as it's not unhealthy). But, do it b/c it makes you feel better, and not because others are losing weight faster than you. Think how many people want to be leaner, but they don't take the step to actually embark on this journey.

Keep up the good work!
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your doing great! whatever pace you end up going is awesome, just keep at it!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I've had the same struggle. I see everyone losing and I want to melt 5 pounds off a week too (wah). OK, but really, my goal is to get healthier, not just be the skinny kid on the block, and that means making lots of changes that I want to keep even after I lose the weight. I recently saw this "my goals are to keep this simple, maintainable, easy, and inexpensive." For long term changes it has to be something I can do forever, not just a few short months. It's ok for it to take me a little longer, in 10 years I'm still going to be there, not bouncing back here and above.
    You are doing great and a help for the rest of us trying to follow behind you!
  • andrewajm
    andrewajm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    im with ya i feel the same way i swear i wanted to throw the scale through the window the other day and then i thought to myself...wow a pound is a pound is a pound...its a lot of fat....and every one i lose is a massive accomplishment...i was so stressed out about losing the weight i forgot about how great it was to get down even one pound...also the stress makes you gain in emotional eating etc....so be proud of yourself and look at it this way...it took a long time to put iit on and its going to take even longer to take it off but for the sake of those great kids that love to play together think of those kids without you because of a heart attack or something...so slow and easy and no stress...you should be extremely proud of yourself..mine is coming ioff slow and i work out the same as you every day...your down a lot of weight...way to go!!!!!!!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I think one pound a week is great! Good for you! I usually plateau for a month or two, before finally losing two or three pounds. Then plateau again.

I started out dying at 10 mins of exercise and gradually worked my way into really enjoying it. I now regularly burn 700 - 1200 calories a day. And I am also a stay at home Mom ( 3 and 2 years old). It can be done, in creative ways.

I have created an entire stregth training routine that takes advantage of my local playground, so I can work out while the kids play. I would love to exchange some ideas on creative ways other Moms fit in exercise!
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    you are changing your lifestyle for yourself not for everyone else. if you feel the urge to do more than you are then do it. you are losing weight doing what you are doing and to me that is great. i don't think you are being fair to yourself by beating yourself up over this. you need to remember it took us time to get to the size we are and it's going to take time to get smaller. you are not only shedding weight you are shedding the bad habits that made you the size you are. that in itself is going to take time to learn to do better. those aren't going to just change overnight either. you are worth taking the time for. so give yourself a break.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You are doing fantastically!!! Don't worry about your 25-30 minutes exercise - you are doing it to a level that suits you and you are still losing! As you get fitter/slimmer, you might feel like want to increase it. There's no point in doing some big torture workout if it means that its too awful to stick with. I think you are doing really well.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! You're doing great. You will be able to keep doing what you're doing now and live your life with the weight off. If you have to work so hard every day you won't be able to keep it up and the weight will come back. I aim for a pound a week and am happy if I get that or a little more. At least it's not going up!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is the healthy way to go! You are doing your best and comparing yourself to others is only going to frustrate you and make you feel down about yourself. Everyone is different. Workout and eat the best you can the whole week and try not to think about how much you are going to lose but how hard you are working and how great it is that you are sticking to this lifestyle change! Also the people you are comparing yourself to what workouts are they doing? You can't compare yourself to people doing workouts like Insanity, P90X and all those other ones if you yourself aren't doing them. Those workouts are so incredibly intense and most people see results that are more than 1 pound per week. I'm not knocking those workouts... believe me they look awesome and I wish I had the time, $ and dedication to try them. This is such a frustrating thing to have to battle with try not to get down. I know easier said than done. Looking at a calendar if u started the first week of January you have been consistently losing 1 pound a week and that is AMAZING!! That's better than I have done in the same time frame. Cassi you are doing great and changing your lifestyle is going to take time. Be confident in yourself your doing great. If you feel you can step it up a little then do it! I hope my rambling helped somewhat :)
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You might just be gettin used to what you are doing? Did ur work out used to be hard and now u are used to it? Maybe your body is just comfortable now. You should probably push yourself harder in your work out. But 1 pound is great. Any loss is great loss.
  • marcnick2
    Options
    I think everyone feels this way at certain times. I know I have. I am in a similar rut. Here is what I am going to try this week. I am going to try to do funner more enjoyable workouts that don't see like workouts (if you know what I mean) and do them for an extended amount of time. I know if I can double the time my hearte rate is in the zone then I will double the caloric burn. Here is what I am going to try this week. It is getting warm enough to play outside, so I am taking the kids to the park and I am going to run around the fence, then play a game of tag with the kids, run around the fence, then play superhero's with my oldest boy, then rund to the fence and back. Each run should be a 15 minute run and if I jog in place or stay moving pretty good while I play with the kids I think I can keep my heart rate up and maintain a 75 minute workout. P.S. my run around the fence is within eye sight of the kids and close enough for me to be safe. Plus no one is ever there at 1pm.

Then I like racketball, so my wife said we could get a sitter and go play one evening. Should be a good hour of a fun high caloric burn.

Workouts that are 25-35 minutes long need to be extened a couple times a week to an hour plus and "our" result would really excel. That is what I am going to try. I am going to try to add fun workouts in. I just can't stand staring at the timer on a machine. That time seems to drag and I usually end my workout early if I am bogged down by the clock. Try to get out and get creative for you next workout and see if you can make it a full hour of fun. Good luck!!!

More suggestions for fun workouts anyone??? Sex doesn't count. Plus it just doesn't happen at my house anymore anyway!:)
  • blondegurlio
    Options
    maybe try a few different activities each week and not have the same boring exercise routine!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I started at 262 and am only down to 249 as of last friday. 13 pounds...that is great!

but im hearing A LOT of people who started MFP in january, like me, and are down 20-30+ pounds or more.

I know I am not doing my personal best. I only work out for 25-35 minutes a day. And while it's a good workout, I know I could push myself harder, and/or add more workouts throughout the day!

I seem to be losing a pound a week, which is what ive always heard is "healthy". I think maybe im using that as an excuse. i guess thinking that slow and steady is the best way. but what those people are doing is healthy too, right (as long as they arent starving themselves)?

Why cant I instill it in my head to work HARDER?! I dont work. I'm a stay at home mom. Kids are in bed by 8 most nights, and they play in their room for 1-2 hours a day (by choice- they just love playing together and all the "cool toys" are in their room) so what is my excuse?! what am i so afraid of?!

I WANT TO BE MELTING POUNDS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS! I feel lazy...like a slacker!

WHY can't i bring myself to do this to MY personal best?

It happens with YOUR personal achivements and it happens as your body allows. Everybody is different; you got to factor in the stress level in your life, sleep, eating styles...etc. One thing you have to remember is that you are authentic. No one else on this face of this earth is and deals with what you have to on YOUR personal day to day life. Take it literally step by step. Set a new goal each day. If you goal for tomorow say is to workout 5 mins longer than today, then make tomorow be that you sleep an extra hour (if possible!) or you cut down on your sugar intake more that day. Just remember to drink LOTS of water (it really is vital) and push yourself a little more each day to switch things up in the right direction. YOU CAN DO THIS. You have to believe in it yourself first too. My first battle of overcomeing my frusteration was actually just imagining myself in a bikini. That gave me (and still does) the determination to hit it up harder. xoxo
  • bs_price
    bs_price Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way i actually just posted the same type of thing the other day i am one of those who has lost 30 since january and other than the first two weeks (i lost 12 the first week) i have been stuck at 1.2, 1.4, etc. since then i am actually in a biggest loser type of program right now and we only have six weigh ins left out of a sixteen week program and i really wanted to hit 50 lbs by the end of it. i know what has helped me this far is for the program we go to a bootcamp class at least two times a week it's a heck of a work out for an hour straight she kicks our butts i'm not sure where you are located but if it's in northern kentucky area u might want to stop and check it out it's only 5 dollars a class if you want to check it out let me know and i will give you info. if you aren't in this area look around at some churches and schools that may offer a similar type group class it really does help to have others there to push you harder plus our instructor really calls us out when we slack i thought i would hate that but actually it really helps a lot

good luck
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,
    First of all: you're doing fine!!!
    1 lb per week is great, it's what MFP recommends you.
    You're working out and you say you're doing a good workout, so why worry to do more?

I started here in August and have lost 25 lbs since then. I started counting calories, then very slowly adding exercise units, like one per week or so. I lost more than 1 lb per week at that time.
    Since January I'm working out with a personal trainer, trying to build up muscle, to firm up my body and skin, exercising 3 to 4 days per week for an hour or more, but not losing that lb per week anymore. It's been 9.5lb in those 12 weeks, January was quite fast, but February and March rather slow.
    So more workout does not necessarily help losing weight faster... what it sure helps is losing inches.

It's ok to take it slowly, especially if you have a life other than working out ;-)
    We could be jealous of what other people achieve, but we don't need to be jealous! It's all in your head. Be happy for what YOU achieved, be happy with the changes YOU made, and always live life the way YOU like it. Don't forget: different people have different bodies and different minds! Do what makes YOU happy, along the possibilities YOU have.

MM
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    12lb! thats fantastic, I've only lost 4lb since the end of December which is rather frustrating. Seems no matter what I do I can't get below this barrier I've hit.

So you've lost 4 times more than me! Just keep at it and remember so long as the numbers are going in the right direction then thats the main thing. Maybe shake up your routine a little and see if that helps.