Just got a Crockpot. Healthy recipes?

Options
I don't cook a lot and was just given a Crockpot as a gift. What do you recommend?

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Possibilities are limitless:

Start with a base of some sort of meat: chicken, pork loin, stew meat, whatever you like.,

Add veggies: tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, leeks, mushrooms, corn, peas, green beans, etc...

Mix in: low fat/low sodium soups or chicken/veggie/or beef broth, or low fat cream cheese (with a can of low fat cream soup)

Add seasonings to your liking (anything goes)

Enjoy your creation with some whole wheat pasta, or brown rice.
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Lasagna :)
    There's soo many things you can make in a crock pot.

http://www.oprah.com/food/Crock-Pot-Lasagna-Recipe

Servings: Serves 6
    Ingredients
    • 3 cans (14.4 ounces) crushed tomatoes
    • 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
    • 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
    • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 containers (15 ounces each) fresh ricotta
    • 2 cups (8 ounces) grated mozzarella
    • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    • 12 lasagna noodles (about three-quarters of a 1-pound box)
    • 5 ounces (about 6 cups) baby spinach
    Directions
    In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, red pepper and black pepper. In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella and Parmesan.

In the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, spread a thin layer of the sauce. Top with 3 of the noodles (breaking to fit as necessary). Spread about 1 cup of the sauce over the noodles and layer with 2 cups of the spinach and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture. Repeat twice more with the noodles, sauce, spinach and cheese mixture. Top with the remaining 3 noodles, sauce and 1 cup mozzarella.

Cook on low, covered, until the noodles are tender—especially in the center of the lasagna—about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Using it as much as you can! :D

I like Eating Well (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_slow_cooker_recipes) and in the past the Better Homes & Garden Big Book of Slow Cooker Recipes (or something like that) was always out on my counter.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite things is: 1-2 lb pork loin...put in crockpot. In seperate bowl, mix one packet of McCormicks BBQ pulled pork seasoning with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and ketchup (the back of the seasoning packet will tell you what you need). Pour it over the pork loin and let that sucker cook for 8 hours. Then just shred it up. I shred it right in the crockpot and the juices soak right into the meat. Put on a 100 calorie sandwich round. Make a side of coleslaw and it's great! Makes a lot, so you have meals for a week. You can take that pork and top a baked potato with it, a little fat free sour cream and fat free shredded cheddar...
    Or mix with some wheat pasta....and a little sour cream. So good!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    search the threads for crock pot and you'll find tons of recipes.
  • tinalina81
    Options
    one of my favorite things is: 1-2 lb pork loin...put in crockpot. In seperate bowl, mix one packet of McCormicks BBQ pulled pork seasoning with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and ketchup (the back of the seasoning packet will tell you what you need). Pour it over the pork loin and let that sucker cook for 8 hours. Then just shred it up. I shred it right in the crockpot and the juices soak right into the meat. Put on a 100 calorie sandwich round. Make a side of coleslaw and it's great! Makes a lot, so you have meals for a week. You can take that pork and top a baked potato with it, a little fat free sour cream and fat free shredded cheddar...
    Or mix with some wheat pasta....and a little sour cream. So good!

I am going to try this tomorrow with my deer tenderloin, thanks for the idea
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I usually add a lean beef or pork roast, add carrots, musrooms and any other veggies you want. Add 99% fat free cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, cook on low for 6-8 hrs (or high for shorter) and enjoy!
  • peachElibrarian
    peachElibrarian Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try the lasagna. I would also recommend another thread on the recipe board "slow cooker salsa chicken."
  • btmixon
    btmixon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nancye610
    nancye610 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    IM LOVING THE SITE CALLED SKINNYTASTE.COM AND I JUST MADE HER CROCKPOT SANTE FE CHICKEN YESTERDAY.... FANTASTIC!!!!! CHECK IT OUT! ALL NUTRITIONAL INFO IS THERE TOO!
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I use the crockpot A LOT to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts. Some of these recipes are from other MFP members :)

Here's a few...

Peanut Chicken (Crock pot)

Ingredients:
    · 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    · 1/2 cup peanut butter
    · 1/2 cup orange juice
    · 1 cup chicken broth
    · 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
    · 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    · 1 teaspoon ground ginger
    · 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    · 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients in 4 quart crockpot; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. Serve with hot cooked rice or noodles. The peanut butter can burn easily, so keep an eye on it.
  • jwd28
    Options
    Here's a SUPER easy one I made tonight

Celery Chicken

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 cans cream of celery soup
    1/2 T poultry seasoning
    1/2 T celery salt

Mix soup, poultry seasoning, celery salt. Put chicken and soup mix in crock pot. Cook on low 4-5 hours.

Serve over rice.
  • jwd28
    Options
    Arroz con Pollo

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or 1 lb shrimp
    1 cup diced onion
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 cups mushrooms, quartered
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cans chopped tomatoes (use 14 ½ ounce cans)
    8 oz tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cups long grain white rice (cooked)
    shredded mozzarella cheese
    ½ tsp pepper
    ½ tsp paprika
    ½ tsp saffron (optional)
    1 t cumin
    ¼ tsp ground basil
    1 tsp salt (or to taste)

Combine all ingredients in crock pot except mushrooms, rice, and cheese. Cook on low 4-5 hours. In the last 20 minutes, add mushrooms and rice.

Top with mozzarella cheese.

Serve with tortillas, beans, salsa.
  • jwd28
    Options
    Fiesta Chicken

2-4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
    1 jar of salsa
    2 cans of beans (red or black or both)
    Corn (optional)

Cook 4-5 hours on low and serve over rice.
  • jwd28
    Options
    Pizza Chicken

Ingredients:
    2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    1/2 - 1 onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    1-2 bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
    1-2 cups pasta or pizza sauce
    1 cup shredded pizza cheese

Preparation:
    Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and place in
    crockpot. Top with onions, garlic, and bell peppers and pour pasta or pizza sauce
    over all. Cover crockpot and cook on low 4-5 hours until chicken is thoroughly
    cooked.

Stir well, then sprinkle with cheese and let stand 5 minutes to melt cheese.
    Serve over hot cooked pasta or rice.
  • WanderLaura
    WanderLaura Posts: 135
    Options
    bump
  • fukuyama
    fukuyama Posts: 43
    Options
    *** SORRY, I can`t delete this post. I posted a message at the wrong place ! OUPS...
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    beans