under calorie intake

Options
So far i have been really watching calories. Today i ate between 800-900 calories but i'm not hungry. Has anyone else had this problem? Plus I ate a whole box of Sugar free Jello with 6 tablespoons of fat free cool whip it is only 85 calories.. but I ate full servings of foods. Did anyone else have problems getting the right number of calories in? I never thought I'd be eating too few calories because a week ago i was eating too many haha.

Replies

• meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would focus more on eating quality, REAL foods!!! You just consumed a whole pile of toxic chemicals, nothing to really nourish your body. Read the ingredients on that fat free cool whip. YUCK! Chemical sweeteners should always be avoided. I cringe to think of how much you just consumed eating a whole box of sugar free Jello :(
  • nomayyy
    nomayyy Posts: 28
    Options
    800-900 calories is wayyy too little! Women need at LEAST 1,200 calories a day. If you don't get enough calories, then your body starts to eat away muscle instead of fat. You should eat a handful of nuts or something since nuts are calorie dense.
    You don't want to lose lean muscle mass :( because if you do, it'll be much harder for you to lose weight in the future since muscle burns fat much quicker than fat burns fat!
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    You really need to try and hit at least the 1200 calorie mark. You dont want to throw your body into starvation mode. Otherwise you'll end up holding on to everything you eat and gain weight. Read the topic they have posted in the forums about starvation mode.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing It will explain a lot. :)
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's recommended that women eat NO LESS THAN 1200 calories...I keep mine between 1200-1300 every day no matter how much I exercise. I used to eat less than 1000 cal and it put me into a starvation mode so my body started to NOT burn anything and I gained weight. I did that when I was in my 20's first, and you would think I'd learn from that experience, but NO....I did it again this past 3 years...couldn't understand why I wasn't losing or keeping the weight off that I'd lost. Then my daughter showed me this site and it's been the best thing for me...I don't get hungry because I forget to eat which isn't good either, but when I see I haven't had all 1200 before I go to bed, I just pull out an apple with some of my homemade peanut butter and some nutella, and that not only satisfies the munchies, but it also gives me at least the minimum number of calories for the day.

3545161.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    I would focus more on eating quality, REAL foods!!! You just consumed a whole pile of toxic chemicals, nothing to really nourish your body. Read the ingredients on that fat free cool whip. YUCK! Chemical sweeteners should always be avoided. I cringe to think of how much you just consumed eating a whole box of sugar free Jello :(

I'm with you! Chemicals are no good! Eating healthy whole foods will be much better for you!
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    Blah blah blah about starvation mode. Me personally, I never eat my work out calories and always eat under1250 calories and I have lost 44lbs in 3 months. I work out every day and eat good healthy food. thats it and thats all.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I often find that after I work out I have to push it to get all my calories in. Sometimes its really low, other days just slightly low, but I am full and get nauseated if I keep trying.
    I try to add almonds or peanut butter in so that I get just a nudge more calories.
  • CuriousSoul
    Options

I agree with meshellmybell76 as I think sometimes we worry about losing weight, too many calories and not focusing enough on eating and living healthy. My aim to get fitter not just look better so reducing our consumption of processed foods, of which I am also guility, will be good for us.

I try to look at the Nutrient Summary daily and eat to make up for what I am short of near end of day - e.g. milk for calcium, banana for potassium, carrot for Vit A, orange for Vit C. For me I now plan my meals firstly to try to meet the protein, calcium, iron, Vit C, Vit A and Potassium requirements, etc and then most of the carbs and fats would have fallen into place with my meals.

My last workout was last Sat and I was not really hungry after my exercise and was under my quota. I was however real hungry on Sun and Mon (did not workout) and ate over my 1200 calories as I know my body needed more protein for muscle repairs, etc. I was scared too initially, at how much more I ate over the limit (200 plus calories) but after eating more iron and protein (Tuna, Pork & Beef), my weight did not increase and seemed to have dropped about 1lbs early this morning, still unconfirmed as weight can change so I will wait for this Friday's start of week 3 weigh-in to see if I am still on target.

Hey, I am new to this too and still learning but eating at least 1200calories + the exercise calories has worked for many so I am totally in with the Maths and in for the long run.
  • ampjorgensen
    ampjorgensen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I dunno other then the jello/whip topping and my cheat on sunday (at a softshell from taco bell.. and it wasn't even that good boo haha) I have been doing really well on eating good foods. But i like raw veggies.. veggies in general but mushrooms mmmm sooo good. which i don't know do we say they are vegetable or just call it like it is a fungus haha I guess my problem is is that when i dieted in my teens (when i turned 18 i went semi-veggie haha i still had meat but VERY occasionally) I was 100% soy milk and would eat things like veggie burgers. would only eat raw uncooked veggies and fruits and only ate whole grains. I was big on 100% rye breads and things like that haha so i was almost obsessive about what i put in my body. now after kids I laugh. I don't have time to make ALL of the foods I did, and am really settling on foods. Although before I at alot of low cal foods before, but i lost lots of weight and felt great and healthy. I never went hungry but the foods I ate were like Cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower with garlic cloves, pomegranates oranges, apples, bananas. So I wasn't starving and was still getting all the servings of everything I needed accept occasionally lacking on breads.

Anyways I guess I wasn't asking if it was healthy I just wondered if anyone else had the problem of meeting there goals on calorie intake. Also didn't ask if my Jello was a good choice haha it was my choice I've dieted before jello is simple a curb for when i need something sweet, but don't want fruit and want something more naughty haha.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    one day of eating to few calories is not going to do anything
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    I dunno other then the jello/whip topping and my cheat on sunday (at a softshell from taco bell.. and it wasn't even that good boo haha) I have been doing really well on eating good foods. But i like raw veggies.. veggies in general but mushrooms mmmm sooo good. which i don't know do we say they are vegetable or just call it like it is a fungus haha I guess my problem is is that when i dieted in my teens (when i turned 18 i went semi-veggie haha i still had meat but VERY occasionally) I was 100% soy milk and would eat things like veggie burgers. would only eat raw uncooked veggies and fruits and only ate whole grains. I was big on 100% rye breads and things like that haha so i was almost obsessive about what i put in my body. now after kids I laugh. I don't have time to make ALL of the foods I did, and am really settling on foods. Although before I at alot of low cal foods before, but i lost lots of weight and felt great and healthy. I never went hungry but the foods I ate were like Cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower with garlic cloves, pomegranates oranges, apples, bananas. So I wasn't starving and was still getting all the servings of everything I needed accept occasionally lacking on breads.

Anyways I guess I wasn't asking if it was healthy I just wondered if anyone else had the problem of meeting there goals on calorie intake. Also didn't ask if my Jello was a good choice haha it was my choice I've dieted before jello is simple a curb for when i need something sweet, but don't want fruit and want something more naughty haha.

i had taco bell this weekend to, stayed under my calories and then decided I would have rather had something much better. the things that use to appeal to me, not longer do. i guess that is good news.