Anyone else having this problem?

Options
MFP allots me 1380 calories per day. Many days I find it hard to reach this goal.. especially when I exercise. I eat and snack and still don't reach them. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode but I also don't want to go over the allotted sugars, sodium, carbs, etc. For example, today I ate 1169 calories (this included TWO turkey burgers for dinner) and I exercised which burned off 371 calories, plus my Insanity workout which I don't know what was burned off.. leaving a net of 798. I know I need to eat more than this but I went over on a couple of things.. protein and cholesterol being the major ones this time.. Any suggestions on how to balance this out so I don't starve myself (even though I don't necessarily feel hungry)??

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    To be quite honest, I wouldn't worry about going over on protein--it takes an awful lot of protein to get to dangerous levels for most people (you can look it up). I tend to see my protein goal as a daily minimum, just like my fiber and my micro-nutrient goals. You do want to watch cholesterol, especially if you have a family history of cholesterol problems, but cholesterol itself is just a particular kind of nutrient. The body uses it as a building block for so many other molecules--you need some just to get by!

If you don't like seeing the numbers go red, try upping your protein goals a bit. That should help (I believe MFP sets protein goals a little on the low side).
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein is fine to go over the limit that MFP sets, by default it is a measly 15% of your daily calories. I upped mine to 30% which puts me right on track for 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight for my current fitness/workout sessions. When I get back to weights I'll bump it up even further.

Healthy calorie dense items like nuts, nut butters avocado etc are awesome if you're low on calories but still want to eat healthy to get the calorie count up.

If you want to change your percentages click "my home" goals... change goals... custom.... change percentages ie 40% carb 30% protein and 30% fat is what I'm using as goals.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I try to go over on protein! I also eat a small meal every couple of hrs - 2 breakfasts; 2 lunches and one dinner - plus snacks. You just have to find your groove and eat fresh healthy food. Good luck!
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I don't go by my net calories or i'd be eating nonstop (or at least feel like i was!). I just watch my allotted calories for the day and stick to those. Rarely do I eat back my exercise calories, although a lot of my friends on here do eat them back. But most days i'm doing good to break that 1200 calorie mark (i normally have to splurge on a ice cream bar or a protein bar to help hit that 1200 mark)
  • weirdmommy
    weirdmommy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im glad you talked about the net cal.. I am still kinda confused. my goal cal are like 1380...but if i excersize i can eat more. But, doesn't that make me not lose the weight? I'm confused. I'll figure it out, I"m just getting started. I might already be addicted to this fitnesspal page:]
  • weirdmommy
    weirdmommy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im glad you talked about the net cal.. I am still kinda confused. my goal cal are like 1380...but if i excersize i can eat more. But, doesn't that make me not lose the weight? I'm confused. I'll figure it out, I"m just getting started. I might already be addicted to this fitnesspal page:]
  • mlhjjm
    mlhjjm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issues. I started exercising so I usually have a few hundred calories left at the end of the day. What I have been trying to do is to "drink" my calories back, that way I don't feel so full. For instance, right now I have 381 calories left for the day, but I am completely full. So I will drink some milk and juice and that should get me pretty close to my calorie goal. Hope this helps.