So when did you truly realize you were in trouble

Options
soze
soze Posts: 604 Member
I saw an app for my iPhone today for a Pizza chain. I figured if I got that I had real issues. LOL.

For me it was one miserably long overeating weekend. I was out of control and I thought I deserved better.

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My favourite work pants wouldn't fit.

Of course, now they're *almost* too big. I'm pretty happy about that.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Doing a 4.5 mile walk to the volcano on the Big Island in 2007 without any trouble.
    Doing a half mile walk to the volcano a year later & being tired, out of breath & needing to sit down a lot.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    This will sound wierd.... I knew I was in trouble after I lost 15 lbs. I only started this to help a friend. She was considering a weight loss journey that I did not find "safe" (we'll say) and I challenged her to try to eat right and exercise first. And if it didnt work I would not judge or ever say anything again. Part of the challenge was I would do it with her (what the heck I could lose a couple lbs) She found MFP and we joined. I quickly started to lose, and my clothes didnt fit and people were constantly commenting on how great and healthy I looked. That is when I realized how much trouble I had been in, and how I let myself go. I am proud to say I am almost to my goal weight of 130-135 and my BFF has lost 35+ lbs since starting this journey in December.
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never had this happen.

I wanted a dog a year ago, and of course that meant I had to walk him nearly every day, and then I started to lose weight from there.

Eventually I started eating better (and less) because I didn't want to get diabetes like most of my family, and while walking can help, its only going to help to a certain extent.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant in 2009 and I went to the doc and I found out I was preclamptic due to my weight and age. I was 36 and it was second pregnancy and first baby. I was in the hospital for most of my pregnancy and I had to have an emergency c-section 6 weeks early. He was born with Spina bifida and then a month later my father died of renal failure. He didn't take care of himself either. I took a good look at myself and realized I was going to die young and not be around for my son. Thats all it took.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down so many times in my life it's pathetic! This time was when I went to Scotland and although I enjoyed myself there it was difficult to manage the physical activity with my weight and it's effects on my mobility.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    When I was at the urologist's office and after the visit I balled all the way home; he was just honest with me but it hurt to hear it. However it took me another month before I did anything. After I went to my GP and then my Obgyn and they weren't so brutally honest yet the conversation still revolved around my weight in my mind, that day was the day I started using the app and joined the website. Haven't looked back since!
  • marleneoby
    Options
    I realised I was in trouble when I went back to work after having my second child. Before my first pregnancy in 2007 I was a healthy 70 kg and size 12. 3 years and 2 children later, I am 40 kg heavier and a size 20. When I went back to work end of 2009, I tried my pre pregnancy work clothes and it wouldn't go to my knee... Then I knew I was in trouble but a little bit in denial. It took my 2 years to finally do something about it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I got pneumonia in November, having had bronchitis twice, tracheitis, pleurisy, and numerous other chest infections throughout my life. I decided I didn't want to die at 60 of another chest infection, so I needed to do something to strengthen my lungs, and I heard that running was the best way to do that.
  • andyb798
    andyb798 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have never really worried to much about my weight and have never been on a diet. Recently I have noticed that my wasteline had increased (work pants to tight) and man boobs have started lol. My wife suggested I check my BMI which have never done. I disgusted to find I was only 3kg off of being obese!!! She pointed my to this website and here I am trying to get back on track. Its only been 2 days so far but hope to keep it up. This site Is also a very good alternative to crapy facebook. At least i will get something out of it.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Heart palpitations; getting short of breath for the simplest things; feeling my blood pressure rising; having a doctor move my belly roll to see what was under it - total humiliation! But most of all was the birth of my newest granddaughter - I want to be around to get to know her!
  • MISTTIMI
    MISTTIMI Posts: 53
    Options
    When I was about 6 or 7 years old me and a couple of friends were sitting on the back seat of Mom's Buick and we were all wearing shorts.. I noticed my thighs pressed against the seat.. they were plumper than my girlfriends thighs...I thought; what's up with that??
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was 180 pouinds in the 6th grade, by Junior year of high school I was 225, that's when I was diagnosed with PCOS. This diagnosis made my life crumble, I knew I wasn't normal and I was a very shy person. I had a VERY low self-esteem and most if not all of the symptoms.
    Symptoms related to elevated androgen levels include acne, excess hair growth on the body (hirsutism), and male-pattern hair loss.

Other signs and symptoms of PCOS include:

•obesity and weight gain,
    •elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance
    •oily skin,
    •dandruff,
    •infertility,
    •skin discolorations,
    •high cholesterol levels,
    •elevated blood pressure, and
    •multiple, small cysts in the ovaries

I was put on birth control and lost a lot of the weight, and now I look and feel like a whole different person. I am now so thankful for my diagnosis...Otherwise I might not have lost the weight and who knows where I would be today.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I realized I was drinking over 600 calories in soda every day. I didn't want to become diabetic so I switched to diet soda only and started eating less sugar. About 6 months later, I decided to really try to lose some weight, I was 142 at that time,. Now I am at 113 lbs and focusing on getting my BF percentage down around 22%. Just started Turbo Fire and weight lifting and feeling great!
  • siantastic
    Options
    About three months ago I was sitting watching tv when I got a pain my right arm, my chest got tight and I struggled to breath. The pain in my arm then turned to numbess quickly followed by numbness in my face and I couldn't speak. I genuinely thought I was dying...from either a heart attack or stroke. I saw a Dr and found that my blood pressure was high and that most likely what happened was something called a silent migraine (which I had never heard of before but it can be confused with a stroke) and most likely had a panic attack as well as a consequence.

To be 23 and have high blood pressure was definitely it for me especially seeing as my dad had a heart attack (and survived thankfully) a few years ago.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    For me the tipping point was after the holidays. My highest weight was 245. I'd been hovering around 224 for a while. After the holidays, I was back up to 234. Then I realized all that time I had been content at 224 lbs. Which would have been ok if I were healthy, but I'm not. I've been on bp meds for years and I'm not exactly elderly. I'm 33. I think I was 25 when I started taking them. THAT should have been when I realized I was in trouble. Apparently I'm pretty slow on the uptake.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Three years ago:

- weight of 444 and size 10x shirts
    - lymphedema resulting in infections in my legs for over 2 years and docs were considering amputating because couldn't cure them
    - had to quit a job I had and loved for 14 years because I was in the hospital so much
    - had to give up my apartment and move in with family since I no longer had a job and needed help taking care of the infections
    - and couldn't even walk to the end of the driveway to get the mail anymore.

That was just the major stuff- does't include couldn't fit in a movie theatre seat, dreading any activity that encompassed walking, not being able to tie my shoes and on, and on and on...

Needless to say I am a bit thick/blind/stubborn but years of living as a "healthy" fat person had me thinking I could bounce back. I did, once I changed my life.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    For me the tipping point was after the holidays. My highest weight was 245. I'd been hovering around 224 for a while. After the holidays, I was back up to 234. Then I realized all that time I had been content at 224 lbs. Which would have been ok if I were healthy, but I'm not. I've been on bp meds for years and I'm not exactly elderly. I'm 33. I think I was 25 when I started taking them. THAT should have been when I realized I was in trouble. Apparently I'm pretty slow on the uptake.

I have a friend who is 4'11" and weighs 263 lbs. She has sleep apnea and I think takes BP medicine. I have tried to get her here but it's of no use. She has to find her own way I recon.

She is now concerned that I will weigh less than her. Oh well what ever motivates her. Another mutual friend told her, that based on height and weight, Ron (me) already does. LOL.

I think sometimes we need a hit in the head to do the right thing. I see that many of you were on the brink of absolute disaster. I'm so happy you found your way.

One other thing I started thinking about but not what made me hit the wall was I had gallbladder surgery (gangrene). Then my ex had gallbladder surgery. Then she got diabetes. I started thinking how long before I got diabetes. We lived the same life style. Pretty chilling stuff!