Going on a cruise, is it possible?

Options
Hey, Im leaving for a cruise in 5 days and i wondering if anyone has gone on a cruise and NOT have gained 5-10 pounds. Like... Is it possible with jogging on the ship to LOSE/ maintained weight and still have the freedom to enjoy that burger and icecream, lol. i know how it sounds and im going to get alot of the same type of answers, but Im wondering if it is at all possible to lose weight on a cruise and if there were anyone who had success stories!?:drinker: :flowerforyou: THANKS

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Just use portion control. That's where most people fail. They see the all-you-can-eat buffet, and the fact that you can get as much dinner as you want. Keep it sensible! And if you're going to any islands or stops, try walking around rather than touring in a cab or bus :) Just be safe!
  • MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Of course - all about will power. The cruise I went on there were so many choices when it came to food from a 7 course banquet every night to a lighter snack bar with salads etc. Plenty of gyms, pools, walking tracks and excursions to keep you moving.

I suppose you would just have to set yourself mentally for what type of holiday you are on.

I put on weight but I was prepared for that - I had zero will power!

x
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just use portion control. That's where most people fail. They see the all-you-can-eat buffet, and the fact that you can get as much dinner as you want. Keep it sensible! And if you're going to any islands or stops, try walking around rather than touring in a cab or bus :) Just be safe!

lol i would rather walk to the places anyways, No offense, but unless we have a pre-thoughtout cab ride or bus, i dont trust anyone other then the people i can with, lol. Thanks, portion control is perfect advice!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 5 day all inclusive resort and I think I did quite well......zero gain. I limited myself to just protein in moderation for breakfast and lunch and then ate whatever I wanted for supper and had desserts as well. So basically, I dieted during the day and just ate at night.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well.... I've been on 5 cruises. It is hard not to gain weight - you are surrounded by food at all times. The only time I actively tried to curtail this was the last cruise I went on. I ran on the small track on the upper deck every day. There was also a gym. I signed up for all of the active on-shore activities (kayak, snorkel, etc.). I tried to avoid dessert and drink water instead of everything else. Alcohol was another difficult hurdle for me - I love the cocktails by the pool, in the hot tub, before dinner, at the dance club...you get the idea. So I tried to only have wine with dinner and a cocktail after. I tried to eat a sensible breakfast: oatmeal and eggs and lots of the fresh fruit, skipping juices and pancakes, etc.

So...get in a good workout, keep active with the fun activities, drink water and skip the fru-fru cocktails, skip dessert, skip the midnight buffet and make breakfast a healthy one.

Cruises seem to revolve around food and drink, so it won't be easy. The last cruise I went on did have a "spa menu" option - lighter meal options - so look for that.
  • MissBev33
    Options
    I went on a two week cruise in November 2010 and put 10lbs on. But in all honesty I did see the buffet and go absolutely mental, I did do afternoon tea, and I ate pizza only a few hours after dinner.

Hence why I am here now...

I have another cruise in four weeks. This time around things will be different. I am going to use portion control and stick to salads on the buffet, take the steps instead of the lift, go ice skating, use the gym and running track, etc. I am not going to deprive myself though so will be partaking in ice cream!!!

Hope you have a fab time.
  • emmaclement
    emmaclement Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    my father went on a 2 week cruise in feb and didn't gain anything , he told them that he required a low fat diet during check in and the chef's accomodated him even at the a la carte resturants , he worked out only twice a week but he walked the deck every day . Good luck x
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I went on a two week cruise in November 2010 and put 10lbs on. But in all honesty I did see the buffet and go absolutely mental, I did do afternoon tea, and I ate pizza only a few hours after dinner.

Hence why I am here now...

I have another cruise in four weeks. This time around things will be different. I am going to use portion control and stick to salads on the buffet, take the steps instead of the lift, go ice skating, use the gym and running track, etc. I am not going to deprive myself though so will be partaking in ice cream!!!

Hope you have a fab time.

Thanks Honey! i will, i need it bc my schedule is driving me mental and i need to restart my mental and physical capacity so i can push myself through the last few weeks of school and work so i can work fulltime as a Massage Therapist! Icecream is my downfall and i have been avoiding it so i can be "allowed" to have it on the ship!, it will be worth it though, lol
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hey, Im leaving for a cruise in 5 days and i wondering if anyone has gone on a cruise and NOT have gained 5-10 pounds. Like... Is it possible with jogging on the ship to LOSE/ maintained weight and still have the freedom to enjoy that burger and icecream, lol. i know how it sounds and im going to get alot of the same type of answers, but Im wondering if it is at all possible to lose weight on a cruise and if there were anyone who had success stories!?:drinker: :flowerforyou: THANKS

Totally possible! I have been on three cruises and never gained on any of them. In fact, I usually lose some.

Yes, you can jog on the ship, either on their insanely tiny track or in the gym on the treadmill. Make use of the ship's gym, which is usually completely empty in my experience.

Try to make good food choices 80-90% of the time and have some fun 10-20%. All cruise ships have 'heart healthy' menus now, too, so you can make use of them at times.

I also found that the extra walking--all over the ship and then on shore excursions--added up to enough extra calories for someone wiht a desk job that I lost weight even though I certainly ate.