Wheat and Dairy free

Options
Hi All

Sorry if im repeating any previous threads! I have recently found out I have an intolerance to wheat and cows milk which means cutting out a lot of food / using alternatives. Im not the most creative in the kitchen and just wondered if anyone had any suitable low cal recipes they could share?

Thanks

Claire x

Replies

• MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Soya milk is good - takes a little getting used to the taste but you soon forget you are using it. I tried vegan cheese, it is ok but not great!

I have very little wheat is my diet at the moment but for complete wheat free there are free from ranges in supermarkets that have bread etc. More expensive but taste ok - not sure how they compare calorie wise.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is a great alternative to milk Don't know many alternatives from wheat, but try whole food stores that may carry different variety of healthy foods for all types Good luck!
  • Midcoast_Mermaid
    Options
    Try coconut water. I use it in place of milk and water in my smoothies, but you can drink it too. Also, for a treat...try Purely Decadent ice cream...its made from coconut milk. Its dairy and soy free. AMAZING.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Can you tolerate Spelt? I love spelt bread and spelt muesli (Dorset Cereals.) I think some people with a wheat intolerance can have spelt. It's worth a try, anyway. It tastes like wholemeal bread, and the spelt muesli is really nice. I also like Oatly oat milk. It tastes better than cow's milk in coffee, to me.
  • HeidiM78
    HeidiM78 Posts: 58
    Options
    try look at www.dischem.co.za .
    They are a South African site, but have gluten free recipes that you may be able to use
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Buckwheat is wheat free. There are loads of recipes for buckwheat pancakes or blinis if you're the making it from scratch type. Buckwheat can also be used in place of wheat flour in tons of baking recipes.

Rye bread might also be an option. Or multicereal pasta.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Sorry if im repeating any previous threads! I have recently found out I have an intolerance to wheat and cows milk which means cutting out a lot of food / using alternatives. Im not the most creative in the kitchen and just wondered if anyone had any suitable low cal recipes they could share?

Thanks

Claire x

Almond milk is great, either sweetened or unsweetened. Soy can depressed thyroid functions and mess with hormonal function as well so be careful about using it.

Quinoa, oats, millet and natural foods are your best bet. The gluten free pastas, etc are OK but generally lack fiber, are higher in calories and definitely higher in price. I do use Tinkyada pasta, which doesn't turn to mush under sauce and for the occasional bagel craving, Udi's is the best.
  • rana_bear
    rana_bear Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Wheat and dairy free. Been dairy free or reduced dairy for many years with my slip ups ;-). Depends what part of the dairy you are allergic/intolerant to. If lactose (the sugar) is your problem there is plenty of lactose free milks, butters and yogurt available in most supermarkets. Some cheese are low in lactose so you may be able to tolerate a bit. My problem is the milk protein and its a lot harder to find alternatives.

Quite a few wheat free alternatives on the market also (pricier though). Can you tolerate oats? they are wheat free but not all gluten free. Porridge or wheat free muesli with soy or lactose free milk/yoghurt makes a great breakfast option. Top with fruit or nuts. YUM

Theres heaps of gluten/wheat free alternatives for pasta or use rice. Gluten free flour for baking or you can buy ready made snacks, biscuits, bread, etc from most supermarkets. Again they are pricier and less available then what you're probably used to but lots of healthy alternatives :-)

Once you get used to the lifestyle, its pretty easy. I think the hardest part is eating out with friends, sometimes you have to be picky but its worth it knowing you'll feel better because of it. Good luck..
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    www.elanaspantry.com It has dairy free, grain free, gluten free recipes which are absolutely delicious! I just found out I am Allergic to refined sugar, grains, and dairy. At first I was like... "Oh, Great!" I love it now though. I feel great and that other stuff doesn't even taste good to me anymore. Good Luck
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    try the coeliac society they have a book full of gluten free goods and if you become a member you can download their app really good when out shopping.
  • MrsCC2be
    MrsCC2be Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your help! Its really appreciated and I will definately be looking in to all of your advice :-) Thank you again! xx
  • ditchwitch
    Options
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ has some really fantastic recipes and many of them are wheat-free. Many of the recipes are quite simple. She tries many of them out on her kids. I haven't had a miss yet cooking from there.