6 Pounds Lost in one Day?

Options
I kid you not; yesterday morning I weighed myself, and it came out to be 210. This morning I hopped on the scale, and it read 204. And no, it isn't water loss, because I've been drinking tons and eating lots of popsicles.

Any ideas as to what happened?

Replies

• helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I kid you not; yesterday morning I weighed myself, and it came out to be 210. This morning I hopped on the scale, and it read 204. And no, it isn't water loss, because I've been drinking tons and eating lots of popsicles.

Sounds like a HUGE jump! You were wearing similar clothes?

Is your scale manual or electronic? Were you standing on it differently? Try standing in a variety of different ways and see what kind of variation you can get in the reading. e.g. feet as close together as possible, feet far apart, etc. - that might have something to do with it.
  • stscrivener
    stscrivener Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Sounds like a HUGE jump! You were wearing similar clothes?

Is your scale manual or electronic? Were you standing on it differently? Try standing in a variety of different ways and see what kind of variation you can get in the reading. e.g. feet as close together as possible, feet far apart, etc. - that might have something to do with it.
    [/quote]

I was actually wearing the same pair of pajamas, just a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I did stand on it a few different ways. I am totally confused. I did walk for about an hour through the cold yesterday morning carrying a backpack, so I got some exercise in, but still.
  • stscrivener
    stscrivener Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a manual scale. I like it, because it always adds on five pounds. So when I hop on and see the number, I get to subtract five!
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's a big jump! Drinking more water will keep you from retaining water. So you can loose water weight. Weird I know, but it's true
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's mot uncommon to have a deficit like this when you first begin working out and change your nutriton. Our bodies are constantly shifting fliud in and out of our cells and although you were drinking plenty of water the weight you lost was not fat. In order to have a actually loss in fat you need a deficit of about 3500 cal to loss one pound....it's not possible to loss 6 pounds of fat over night.

What's prob happening is your body is flushing out toxins and some times this can cause a temporary state of dehydration. Don't worry all this is good it's the begining of the weight loss proccess, everyone goes through it.

Keep drinking water and follow a well balanced nutrtion plan and you will begin to see real results soon.

Good luck
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    That's a big jump! Drinking more water will keep you from retaining water. So you can loose water weight. Weird I know, but it's true

Exactly. It could most certainly be water weight. When You take in lots of water your body lets go of the water it was holding onto. People carry around more water weight than they realize.
  • ladyshills
    Options
    1 pound is 3500 calories, so you would have had to have burned 21,000 calories in 1 day to have lost 6 pounds. Are you brand new to diet? I know many people lose a huge amount the first few days of dieting, mostly water because of the shock to the system. I lost 4.8 my first day, but know it wasn't fat loss. It' definately will motivate you though!! I don't mean to burst your bubble.. just saying to expect 1-2 pounds a week after the first week. Good luck!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Yeah it's water. It's impossible to come up with a deficit like that in one day. :)
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    maybe something is wrong with your scale?
    did you wear different clothes? (I weight butt naked it's the only way for an accurate reading)
    I've lost 4 pounds in one day but that was bloating water from my period.
    weigh on carpet or hard floor?
    carpet i weigh 186 hard floor 190,you right one is the hard floor.
  • jesgarcia2985
    jesgarcia2985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What did you eat and what activities did you engage in whatever it is keep it up long as you include youre proteins(meats) and iron(greens) youre good ..metabolisms are a beautiful thing when you figure them out I've always struggled with extra weight but its our western diet of burgers fries sugary drinks beer etc. But when i cut that out and stick to lean meats salads veggies baked potatoes the weight falls off(im talking a different looking man in a few weeks)..and pasta my body responds bad to pasta growing up rice and spaghetti was a staple to our diet so my body stores that junk i stay away from it
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Did you recently start a weight loss program and stop? Just wondering because I did, and my results were noticed 2 weeks later. This has happened before. Usually, if I start diet/exercising again after a layoff, I don't see much results until around 2 weeks later. This time around it was 1 inch and 5 or so pounds I lost. I think it takes the body a little time to adjust when starting a new program, at least thats been my experience.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jtechmart wrote: »
    Did you recently start a weight loss program and stop? Just wondering because I did, and my results were noticed 2 weeks later. This has happened before. Usually, if I start diet/exercising again after a layoff, I don't see much results until around 2 weeks later. This time around it was 1 inch and 5 or so pounds I lost. I think it takes the body a little time to adjust when starting a new program, at least thats been my experience.

OP posted this in 2011, so I'm guessing they got something figured out.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jtechmart wrote: »

OP posted this in 2011, so I'm guessing they got something figured out.

Her banner shows a 55 pound loss. I assume that didn't happen in 6 pound increments over 9 days.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Drinking more water than usually actually triggers the body to urinate and rid itself of more liquid. It's common practice for athletes like myself to do a water cut which is pretty much this manipulation strategy. So I wouldn't dismiss that.

Also if your weight scale is in need of calibration like you mention, I wouldn't give it validation of any number it spit out.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Does anyone really think OP still wants an answer to this question posted 9 years ago??????

m1806.gifm1806.gif
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    it's water weight...I've dropped 3-4 lbs in one day due to water. you didn't burn that many calories in one day.