Help...

Options
I get home from work at 5, cook dinner and eat arount 6pm. After dinner is the only time I can excercise. I have 4 children so sometimes running around to games and lessons and can't excercise until 9 or 10. I tried to excercise everyday but sometimes it does not work out so well. I do alot more during the weekends.

The question is, I tried not to each after 8 pm and I'm having a very hard time eating my excercise calories as I excercise so late. Sometimes I don't eat them at all because I have to get to bed. I tried eating more during the day but on those days are the days I can't excercise.

Any ideas how to make this work or how much harm I'll be in if I can't eat all my calories? Can I bank them for the next day or for the week?

Replies

• GaoLee
    GaoLee Posts: 65
    Options
    I get home from work at 5, cook dinner and eat arount 6pm. After dinner is the only time I can excercise. I have 4 children so sometimes running around to games and lessons and can't excercise until 9 or 10. I tried to excercise everyday but sometimes it does not work out so well. I do alot more during the weekends.

The question is, I tried not to each after 8 pm and I'm having a very hard time eating my excercise calories as I excercise so late. Sometimes I don't eat them at all because I have to get to bed. I tried eating more during the day but on those days are the days I can't excercise.

Any ideas how to make this work or how much harm I'll be in if I can't eat all my calories? Can I bank them for the next day or for the week?
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I work out at night, too. I don't have children though... just not a morning person!

I think the standard answer is to try to plan ahead. Today was the first day I have done that in a long time and found it really helpful. However, with three kids... maybe that isn't realistic?

I think it is okay to eat a little at night. Maybe 100 or 200 calories type deal? Either before going to the gym or right after you get back?

I guess it also depends on your goals and how much you are burning at the gym.

If you have it set for 1lb a week, you might be able to handle the deficit. I know that it would be okay for me to do. If you have it set for 2lbs a week, you might be cutting it close. I wouldn't let yourself go below 1200 cals a day. It is just too low.

Hope that helps.
  • burb265
    Options
    The "experts" say if you have to eat at night eat protein not carbs. When I lift lots of heavy weights my trainer tells me to go home and eat lean protein to help the muscles. It's worth a try.:smile:
  • LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children too, and I know how hard it is to get those workouts in. My 2 oldest help out with making dinner one night each week. Maybe try having your older children make dinner on the nights that you have to run them around. That way, you could workout while dinner is being made. That's what I do and it helps out so much!! Kids have got to learn how to cook for themselves, so this is a great way for them to learn. And to eat those calories, take along some healthy snacks with you when you take them to their activities. Hope this helps some.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I walk during my lunch or exercise right after work at 5:30. The nights I exercise after work I have an easy supper planned so my husband can make it or I put a roast or something in the slowcooker before I go to work. I ususally plan what I'm doing for exercise during the day and eat the calories early on.

The key is Planning
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    i feel for you!!! i myself have 3 kids and im a single mom so to get the time to work out is very difficult!!!! luckily for me my oldest is 13 so every wednesday night and sunday morning she babysits while i go to zumba class.... its money in her pocket at the end of the week so she is happy to do it....Also getting the kids out for a long walk on a nature trail or to the pool , or raking some leaves? As for eating your calories it is a good idea to eat your exercise calorie!!! but you can find some highcalorie alternatives if you feel the need to cram in some calories.... like roasted almonds, or avacados, or even some peanutbutter and celery :)
  • GaoLee
    GaoLee Posts: 65
    Options
    All great ideas... thank you.

So, can you bank calories?