atkins/low carb

Options
I cannot for the life of me figure out what would be better. I have been reading tons about both sides of the argument and still can't decide. Clearly we are all watching calories, so we are attempting to lose weight by calorie reduction. But is there anyone here that has lost weight from carb reduction vs calorie reduction? I see low carbers eating a crapload of calories, but still drop weight....I can't help but be fascinated!

Replies

• Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i did atkins back in 04, lost around 60 lbs. didnt keep it off, slowly gain it back plus. looking at my past; diet dont work long term. one has to learn new eating patterns. learn ones triggers for bing eating. i try to eat better choices and home cooked meals. occasionally i still treat myself to unhealthy choices in moderation and not as often. just my 2 cents.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Same here. I did Atkins about 10 years ago and lost weight quite easily. A diet that allows bacon, full-fat dip, etc. was an interesting journey. But right at my goal weight, I broke my foot and and all bets were off. I slowly gained my weight back, plus 20 pounds, because I quite being a conscious eater. I also noticed that keeping to a low-carb diet and restricting (as in pretty much off-limits) certain food gets tough in the long-term.

This time, I'm much happier with watching calories and getting used to being a conscious eater. I do not restrict anything, per se. If I want a brownie, I'll eat a brownie. However, with that "freedom," I'm more or less inclined to say "no thanks" to that brownie because I simply don't need the consequences that go with it.

That being said, I do watch my carbs, in two ways. First, I avoid mixing carbs and fat. Since carbs are the first thing your body burns up, I don't want the associated fat going to my fat cells. Second, I avoid carbs a few hours before and / or after exercise, for the same reason. I want my body to burn fat, not those carbs. Body builders, athletes, etc. may need carbs for fuel, but when my primary exercise is walking/hiking, and I need to lose about 55 pounds, I'm not in the category where carbs are essential for these "workouts."

So, my breakfast and most of my dinners tend to be low-carb, since I walk in the mornings and afternoons. I give myself carbs--and I try to only eat good carbs, like whole wheat, brown rice, quinoa--at lunch or for snacks. But I do try to avoid the carb/fat combination in those too. My challenge here is to find decent carb-based lunches that don't have alot of fat.

I have been listening to a podcast called "Cut the Fat Weightloss" and in several of the episodes, the two hosts really go into detail about how your body processes carbs, fats, and proteins. I highly recommend taking a listen to this podcast. Google it to find their website, they also have a facebook page where lots of people ask questions. It's really eye-opening, and it's helped me lose 9 pounds in 3 weeks!

Good luck--
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Who knows! :) I think everyone is different.
    I know I gain fastest eating carbs with fat, so personally they are things to avoid :)
    The science of ketosis is sound but I think its hard on the liver long term. Short term it works well.
    I am reading a great book by Tom Venuto 'Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle'. He says he recomends taking from all diets, but advocates your meals being mainly proteins & greens. Its very sensible and I recommrnd it highly!

It has inspired me to reduce the carbs. He advocates high protein, low calories, so its not typical Atkins.
    PSMF diets, which are low carb and are about sparing the muscle by eating lots of protein - I think this is where Atkins got his ideas - recommend a day of carb cycling one day a week to keep the body shocked.

My meals are mainly tofu and other vegan protein substitutes like smart bacon and veggie sausages with lots of greens especially spinach & brocolli. I've lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks so its working well for now.
    But I'm not big on sweets so I dont crave them. I am a bit lethargic, and my cheats are healthy nuts & seeds :)

If you do a lot of workouts I think you should eat carbs in the form of veggies, pulses & whole grains. I think whatever system you pick, the key is being consistent!
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I've decided calorie counting is just confusing me. I've tried to top up my calories (for better metabolism) because I've apparently not been eating enough but all thats done to me is make me gain 1-2 pounds (apparently normal at first) but it's made me feeling bloated, sluggish and depressed. I can only manage up to 800 - 1000 calories max.

I was on Atkins last year and that has made me lose a ton of weight. I think I'll just stick to what my body is use to and cut out the carbs and forget about the calorie counting. It has worked so hopefully it'll work again.
  • marmite230
    Options
    I run low carb high protein diet for 7 days every few months according to when i have races coming up. Just helps shed some fat but i couldnt do it any longer than 14 days tops. Too hard.
  • tobeygirl45
    Options
    Tried the Atkins Diet years ago and didn't see results... I think I thought I could eat a whole package of bacon and extreme amounts of other protein and as a result did not lose... For some reason it seems men do very well with the no carb thing don't know why but it was not for me... And seriously I think we all need some carbs in our diet as well as protein... I am loving the calorie counting and is def working for me .... since 1/4/11 I have lost 18 lbs so far and counting!! In the end it is whatever works for you and you only so ....... Good luck with whatever works for you!!
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    I did!!!!!! Although my calories are not extremely high but I don't watch or count my calories I count my macros protein/carbs/fat as long as I stay sighing those limits then I am ok, I also don't log my exercise because then it changes my numbers not everyone can do that and lose but it works for me. I do take days off then I feel like crap and get back on. You also have to remember before going low carb that this is a lifestyle not a diet, if you get to goal and eat carbs from bread and pasta again you will gain it back if you do not transition right, most people don't transition right and some like me my body just don't like grains and some dairy I bloat like a balloon and has a hard time digesting it. I eat primal, you can friend me if you would like.
  • marilyn07
    marilyn07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've done South Beach with some success, but when you go back to eating normally then it all comes back. It just isn't realistic for me to cut out carbs so I believe it is all about moderation. I am more mindful of the carbs I am eating and try to limit them, but will not deprive myself again. It should be a lifestyle change not a diet.
    Just my two cents!

~Marilyn
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    my husband and I did atkins together back in 2003..we both lost weight but were stuck eating certain foods...I gained some of it back with baby number 4...but I have always been mindful of my weight since 2003..now I am doing calorie counting and for some reason it is clicking with my body-I get to eat the food that everyone in my house is eating so it makes things much easier-I think both plans work but in the long run CCing might be the best option...good luck!