Elliptical calorie difference

Options
I work out on an elliptical machine each morning. It has a calorie counter on it so I can keep track of how much I'm burning. The problem is that when I register how many minutes I've worked out in my exercise diary it's almost double the amount of calories that my elliptical tells me I have burned. I would just take the lower amount and go by that, but then I'm not meeting the workout goal I have set for myself overall. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Everyone burns calories different. Your sex, age, weight, height, etc all are factors. Those machines and this website just give averages so if you really want a better estimate you need to invest in a heart rate monitor.
  • joolzh13
    joolzh13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem I was almost sure my food diary was accurate and like you entered calories off the machines but I wasn't dropping any weight.

I bought a relatively good Heart Rate monitor and found that the calories were different by nearly double so I was infact over eating exercise calories. Times that by four or fives times of exercise a week and its no wonder I didn't lose any weight.

Since using the HRM, I have lost a few more pounds and I am very pleased.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When you are putting in the minutes on MFP, you should be able to change the calories burned as well. It's the box right under minutes and I think it says that you can change it if you know what you burned and it is different. Also know that the calorie counter on the machine might not be accurate, so maybe find a middle ground? I know my elliptical doesn't ask for my gender, age, or height, just weight so I know it's not as accurate as it could be. HTH!
  • scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was finding the same thing. I went out and bought a HRM and I go by that now. The HRM definitely registers higher than the elliptical machine and just a tad less than MFP.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM use the lowest caloric burn option.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to exagerate calories burned I have noticed. I use the machines totals mostly and am getting a HRM. They are a good investment if you are serioius about how many calories you have burned.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a HRM and Polar is a great brand. That will give you the most accurate calorie count because you put in specific details about yourself. They can be a little pricey but are total worth it!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I to am an avid elliptical user,I take an average of my hrm and the machine to get my calorie burn
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of ellipticals for exercise, BUT - yes, the calorie counts CAN be off. In my experience it depends on the make / manufacturer / model. It also depends on what software models the machine is using to measure your calories burned. As everyone has said, it's an estimate. My elliptical calories burned number was always less than the MFP estimate by about 20%. So I used to use the elliptical number and then, since I didn't invest in a heart rate monitor but was concerned about over-eating exercise calories, I started taking credit for only two-thirds of the calories the elliptical "awarded" me. make sense? GOOD LUCK!
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use to have the same problem. Most people take the MFP number and the elliptical number then average them out....but when I wanted to be sure I got a Body bugg by body media (it's the monitors the contestants on the Biggest Loser wear and costs about $195...pricey but worth it in my opinion) which has really helped me. I found out that I am burning an average of 100 calories more than what elliptical says and about 50 calories more than MFP. But I know that will change as my fitness level changes too so it's a great tool to have.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor...that's what you need.