List of High Satiety Foods

Options
Eggs

Include eggs in your daily diet to ward off hunger. A 2005 study titled "Short-Term Effect of Eggs on Satiety in Overweight and Obese Subjects," published in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition" showed that including an egg at breakfast caused participants to feel fuller, and eat 400 fewer calories throughout the day. Eggs contain high-quality protein, a major contributor to food satiety, as well as a high amount of vitamin D. The Arthritis Foundation cites this vitamin as a way to boost weight loss.

Avocado

Spread avocado on your toast for a nutritional butter substitute, blend it with tomato, onion, spices and a little lemon juice for a simple guacamole with veggies or eat it on its own. According to the Hawaii Medical Services Association, a little fat goes a long way in staving off hunger. Avocados provide mono- and polyunsaturated fats, which the California Avocado Commission claims should be substituted for unhealthy saturated fats. Avocados provide nutrients as well as satisfying fats, including almost 20 phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals. Additionally, one medium avocado contains a one-fifth of the hunger-quelling fiber you need in a day and no sodium to raise blood pressure.

Beans & Legumes

Eat one or more varieties of inexpensive, easily accessible beans. Lentils, and white, black, kidney and garbanzo beans adapt well to a number of hot and cold dishes. Beans are high in protein and fiber, as well as iron and calcium. Fiber and protein are major contributors to food satiety. Because beans are absorbed slowly, you'll feel fuller for longer.

Potatoes

Make potatoes part of your diet. Dr. Susanna Holt of the University of Australia compiled a list of foods according to their ability to satisfy, called "The Satiety Index." Those that made the list did not just temporarily stifle hunger; they kept the eater full. Results were measured by feeding participants a 240-calorie serving of one of 38 foods, then asking them to eat from a buffet hours hours later. Respondents' hunger levels were measured every 15 minutes, as well as the amount of food they ate from the buffet. The satisfaction level for consuming potatoes came out on top due to their bulk and density. However, the way they were prepared was important: French fries fared much worse than their bland, dense, boiled counterpart.

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Baked beans and boiled potatoes for dinner it is then!
  • stscrivener
    stscrivener Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How many eggs for breakfast?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    How many eggs for breakfast?

i always have 2! this morning i had 2 eggs & half a tin of baked beans!!:love:
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    bump
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Whenever I have a couple of eggs scrambled for breakfast, I'm starving by 11, but a simple bit of toast and I last until lunchtime.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love all those foods! Especially sweet potatoes!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple of eggs over warm refried beans. I know it sounds gross but it's oh so yum!!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. The great thing about eggs? They are sooooo versatile! If I had to choose one protein to eat for an extended period of time, I would take eggs! Think about it: scrambled, fried, soft boiled (my fav), hard boiled, poached. and don't get me started on omlettes, frittatas, quiches etc. etc. etc.!!! And I love avacado! try making some soup. simply blend with about half a cup of chicken stock slightly warmed, a cloved of garlic top with some salsa and viola! a cold soup for lunch that is tasty and satisfying! I think I just planned two meals for today! LOL!

Thanks again!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    potatoes have a high glycimic level. You body willl digest it very quickly and it will spike your blood sugar.

I disagree with the reccomendation to include them as part of your diet.

Sweet potatoes would be a better choice.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I miss eggs :sad:
  • AllegraWilliams
    Options
    potatoes have a high glycimic level. You body willl digest it very quickly and it will spike your blood sugar.

I disagree with the reccomendation to include them as part of your diet.

Sweet potatoes would be a better choice.

But they are soooo good! ;p
  • tiarra77
    tiarra77 Posts: 39
    Options
    good info tim!!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Probably not if you are Type 2 Diabetic. The research suggests that densed potatoes, not french fries, are more filling then most foods so you don't eat as much during the day.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    this site describes that study well. http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

The study wasn't based on how full youfelt throughout the day, but rather 2 hours after you ate the 240 calories.

Holt is concerned that there may be some confusion in the interpretation of her study's findings. "The Satiety Index scores reflect the total amount of fullness produced by the set portions of the test foods over two hours—i.e. short-term satiety. Although most foods with high Satiety Index scores kept fullness relatively high for the whole two hours, there were a few exceptions," Holt notes.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and nuts every single day without fail.