Do I eat my "exercise" calories?

hollyaustin1
hollyaustin1 Posts: 1
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a calorie goal of 1200/days. If I burn 375, should I eat 375 more? Doesn't that defeat the purpose??

Thanks!

Replies

• I think this one is confusing for everyone. I don't eat the extra. Not sure what everyone else does?
  • It doesnt defeat the purpose, because MFP already has a deficit set for you..in my opinion your net cals should always be close to 1200(at least)
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    If you want your body to function properly (including the process it undergoes to burn fat and build fat burning muscle) then eat back what you can. Try to be within 100 calories of the recommended on days when you exercise. But also be wary of the calories "burned" as it's common to over estimate your actual burn. Some days you simply won't be hungry, but try to eat at least an extra 100 calorie snack. Other days you'll be very hungry. Don't deny your body's urge to eat, but in doing so, choose whole foods instead of junk.
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    That 1200 calorie goal is how much you should eat to lose weight, BEFORE exercising. When you eat 1200 cals & burn off 300, this means you are only leaving your body with 900 cals to operate on, and this is too little. So it's recommended to eat some back, to get your NET intake to 1200. Sure, you could not exercise but that wouldn't be very healthy - exercise is key to health, fitness and a toned body!
  • I JUST had this quandry last night. I felt REALLY scared eating 1,590 calories! But - I did within 20 calories, and guess what? I LOST 1/2 pound! So - they really do figure out your deficit already and you should eat what you burn above the 1200. It is true if you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat. Good luck! Try it one time and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.