Cell phones at the gym?!?

Options
My gym has signs (not as many as I think they should) posted that say the gym (cardio & weight area) is a cell phone free area. I was on a treadmill last night with my headphones on and a girl gets on the treadmill next to me while she is talking on her phone. I listen to my music loud because I don't want to hear my feet hitting the treadmill and I especially don't want to hear how much I'm huffing and puffing while running. She was using some type of wireless to talk b/c she was holding her phone in her hand and I could hear her whole conversation over my music. It kept sounding like she was going to finish but she kept going.
After 5 min of continously looking back and forth at her, I finally asked her to get off her cell phone. She looked completely shocked, and asked if it was bothering me. I said yes and that there was a no cell phone policy in the gym. She told her friend that I asked her to get off her phone and she did. Then she proceeded to look at me and tell me that I was rude to ask her to get off her phone, that no one else said anything. Seriously?!? So I told her that it was rude to be on the phone while working out and that it was against the gym's posted rules and that maybe others were afraid to speak up. She again said I was the one that was rude.

So I'm wondering...who's rude? The one who is having a conversation on their phone while at the gym, against posted rules, or the one who has the guts to speak up and say something?

Thoughts??

Replies

• Bunniwithani
    Options
    Kudos to you for saying something... I would say the cellphone girl was being rude. How are you supposed to work out while on the phone anyway??
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    The one on the phone is rude.

I can handle if someone is expecting a somewhat important call, so takes a short call if they have to. BUT, to just chat the whole time they are at the gym is ridiculous. There is no way they are working out as hard as they would if they would just put the phone down.
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    SHE was rude. What is wrong with people...
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I keep my cell phone with me at the gym because I leave my kids at home and you never know when they might decide to burn down the house or jump from the bunk beds and need an ER visit! :laugh: However, if they do call me which is once or twice a year, I get off my machine, quick wipe it down and leave that area to answer it.

She was out of line.

D
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    she was rude and inconsiderate, such bad manners!

Thats whats what lockers are for..
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    REALLY?! people are ridiculous. she was rude. why was she even at the gym if she was going to chit chat the whole time?
  • Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    She was the rude one and I hate it for you that you had to defend yourself. I wish people could just take responsibility for their mistakes and say they are sorry but that is not the world we live in. Good for you for speaking up because without her realizing it was actually a gym rule she would keep doing it.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she was definitely rude for challenging you on it - if it was me, I would have been mortified! But well done for raising it with her, although you might have started to exaggerate the huffing and puffing and pounding feet on the treadmill to make her conversation difficult!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Good for you for telling her!

I was just thinking about this last night. People spend hours at the gym every week, but they get on the machine and talk on the phone, or my favourite, they text! And then they wonder why after spending all this time at the gym they don't lose weight... It's not the time that you're there it's the effort that you put in. (sorry, that's my rant for the day!)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I use my phone all the time at the gym. I just use it to play my music, and log my workouts( weight/reps) It has a timer app that tells me when my rest is up to start another set. I don't use it as a phone though.
  • Baileymqt
    Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if someone can't be without their phone for 30+ minutes while exercising, they have a problem. That's what voicemail is for. I'm from the "older" generation so did not grow up with cell phones but there needs to be an etiquite sheet handed out with each purchase, such as no talking when at a checkout counter in a store, at the library, paying for something. Also for those who do this, no texting and driving as well. A bit dangerous and I don't want to get rear ended by you. Okay, off my soap box.:happy:
  • 343paul
    343paul Posts: 24
    Options
    I log my workouts with my cellphone while working out. I turn on airplane mode so I don't get disturbed by calls.
  • 343paul
    343paul Posts: 24
    Options
    dave sounds like your using jefit too
  • Baileymqt
    Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Using your cellphone as a tool for logging workouts is different than chatting up a conversation for a half hour. Some people listen to music on their phones, also different than carrying on a conversation.
  • JennyG73
    JennyG73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I teach a spin class at the gym as well and had to ask a girl to refrain from texting during class. She picked it up at least 6 times in 50 min! All the instructors complain about her but never say anything. I had to though, after watching my students continually look at her when she would do it.
  • JennyG73
    JennyG73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And I understand using a phone for your music or workouts and keeping it with you b/c of kids. That makes sense. But she walked in talking and kept on going. Once she got off the phone, she did increase her walking speed and then eventually jogged some. I guess she figured she could increase her effort off the phone!
    I also saw her watching me later in the mirror while I was by the weights and I when she saw me looking back, she quickly looked away. Why do people have to be like that? I thought she would say something to me later, but she just left. Maybe she realized how ridiculous it was.
    My husband laughed and said it would be funny if she showed up in my class tonight! oops!!

Thanks for letting me vent!
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if someone can't be without their phone for 30+ minutes while exercising, they have a problem. That's what voicemail is for. I'm from the "older" generation so did not grow up with cell phones but there needs to be an etiquite sheet handed out with each purchase, such as no talking when at a checkout counter in a store, at the library, paying for something. Also for those who do this, no texting and driving as well. A bit dangerous and I don't want to get rear ended by you. Okay, off my soap box.:happy:

EXACTLY!!! To hear a lot of people tell it, EVERY incoming call COULD be an emergency! Just about anywhere you go, they have a phone in the reception area. She could have a least left the area to answer it, that would be common courtesy. Id complain to the gym manager. My God how did we ever make it through all those years without cell phones surgically attatched to our ears? Sorry, but I feel the same way about video games and television....people have really forgotten how to LIVE without electronics. Sorry, I am ranting...lol :grumble: Sorry you had to deal with one of them in the middle of your workout...:ohwell:
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I'm using the jefit app along with listening to music. I might respond to a text from my wife too in between sets. I see no problem with that. I will however send all calls to voicemail.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Yep. I love the rest timer on it. It is a lot easier than looking at the clock.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I noticed this for the first time at the gym yesterday. A woman was one the phone texting while of the elliptical.

I also get kick out of the guys who walk around the weight area with a Blue-Tooth headset on.

I will always leave my phone in a locker during work out. Sometimes take it on a run since I use Runkeeper app for the Android.