numb toes when exercising

Options
Does anyone else get numb toes when exercising? normally its when on my elliptical/ walking or running.
when following video's doesn't normally happen.

Should I be concerned? Maybe poor circulation? or is it my shoes? I have sketchers? I love sketchers and they are so comfortable. but didnt' know if I should try a different shoe, or if it was something to do with circulation.

thanks for any advice.

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes..thought it was just me....interested to see what others say.....
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!! My thought is that either I don't have good enough shoes (Payless lol!) or I wonder if the numbness and sometimes pain is due to my second toe being longer than my big toe. I can only do the elliptical / arc trainer for about 1 hour and sometimes I have to push through the discomfort. Makes me feel better that I'm not alone. But I wish I could tell you something to help out :/
  • mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too, I'm curious as well.
  • claudiepaws
    claudiepaws Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been told when it happened to me that it occurs when you're trainers are a little too tight. I know it sounds simple, but maybe try loosening the laces just a little and see if it makes any difference?
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes my feet get numb when I am on the eliptical. i wonder if it isn't because of the motion. you aren't actually lifting your feet??? curius i thought it was just me too. :laugh:
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would say it is the shoes.(15 years shoe experience) I have noticed this before but only in certain shoes...make sure you can wiggle your toes when shoes are on or they are too tight. They shouldn't of course slide around in the shoe but a tight toe box can cause numbness from repeated excercises causing rubbing on the same nerve over and over again. If the shoe isn't tight...it may be the arch or just the way the shoe hits that certain nerve. The videos give enough different movement of the feet that you don't feel that. You will need different shoes altogether for running. Good luck with those toes sweetie!
  • shuneault
    shuneault Posts: 13
    Options
    That happened to me! Go up a half size in shoes. Your feet swell while working out so this allows room for them to swell. Hope this helps!
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This was brought up a lot on the cool running site. I know it sounds silly, but they said some people lace up their shoes too tight. Making them a bit looser actually helped some people. It doesn't hurt trying...it's free!
  • anneid
    anneid Posts: 8
    Options
    I have the same thing when on the elliptical and I have heard others have the same issue. I have tried to not tie my shoes as tight. I have the Reebok Easy Tones and I have tried my regualr Rykas and it is the same regardless. I sometimes try to step more towards the end of my time on the elliptical to move my toes a bit more and that seems to wake them up some.
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get numb toes every time I do the elliptical and the stationary bikes. I'm going to try loosening my laces to see if it helps.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    only on the eliptical,And its because of all the pressure being put on your feet,and the repetitive motion.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Could be the shoes, socks, tight shoe laces or circulation. Try using different socks, loosen your shoe laces, or a different pair of shoes. If the symptoms persist, talk to your doctor. I hope it's just an issue with the shoe laces, and nothing serious. :smooched:
  • theflowmaster
    theflowmaster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This exact thing happens to me too, I have tried loosening the laces. That doesnt seem to help. Any info is greatly appreciated. Happens on the elliptical and thats it for me. Anything else Im fine.
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Reebok Easy-Tones and I get that with them. It's the pressure on the ball of your foot causing it. I never got it with my New Balances. But I love how my calves feel while using them so I'm going to tolerate the few minutes of discomfort.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, I wouldnt personally recommend sketchers for running...
    That being said- if they are comfortable (and not too tight or rubbing) I dont think it is the issue. I had sciatica a few years ago (major back issue with a pinched nerve in my leg as a result) and I sometime have my big toe go numb when running. It is apparently related to the sciatica per my doctor.
    Honestly, it just goes away on its own with me- but I would say that YES it is a big deal.. You could have a major issue. I would at the least see a chiropractor- and bring your shoes with you when you go...
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    Have the same problem. Was the shoes. Went to a good sneaker shop and they measured and watched me run and walk and fitted me for the right shoe for my foot. Not cheap for the sneakers. Worth it to not have the numbness. Good luck.
  • SarahR1984
    SarahR1984 Posts: 212
    Options
    yes! I asked my doc and he said this is common on the elliptical. There are other things that can cause it, esp if it happens when you are not exercising (like me). Could be a problem with capillaries constricting and not filling properly(forgot the condition he called this), poor circulation, or the pressure on your toes from the way you're using the elliptical. Depends too on your stride and size of elliptical. There were a few different things he talked about. Try pushing down on the heel of your foot when on there. You might want to see your own doctor since it could be numerous things causing it. Probably just the elliptical... but you never know! Shoes fit ok?
  • anneid
    anneid Posts: 8
    Options
    Off the subject, but love your picture at the Colosseum in Rome. I have a picture very similar as I was just there exactly one year ago today.:smile::flowerforyou:
  • IssaquahMom
    Options
    Something to try (that worked for me) is to remove the laces from your shoes, then re-lace them skipping the holes closest to your toes. This seems to allow your foot enough room to move without the shoes feeling loose, and helps with the numbness. Hope it'll help you too!
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I posted this same topic a month or so ago. Someone advised me it was because I lift my heel when running on the elliptical...and it's true. Your supposed to keep your foot flat...almost sit back a little as you run. It it a lot harder that way...but your feet/toes don't go numb.