numb toes when exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• lilbee2011
    Options
    I was also thinking this was just me. It sometimes only happens to one foot, and it stops as soon as I get off of the elliptical or stair stepper. But I can wiggle my toes in my shoes, so maybe it's more with the way the shoe fits your foot?? I have extremely high arches, and an over stretched tendon in my left due to un-fused bone, so finding a shoe that fits that is always a problem.
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I asked the folks at Big Peach Running Company a few months back, because the same happens to me. They said it is one of two things: shoes are too tight around your toes (getting a wider shoe will help), or its the way your foot is hitting (or in this case, NOT hitting) the floor/pedal when you exercise. Will elliptical machines your feet aren't moving much if you aren't concentrating on moving your feet, so to change that, pick up your foot a bit when you're exercising which helps circulation. It makes sense if you think about it, your whole body is sweating and moving around, but your toes are staying in the same position. So, as my running peeps said "pick up your feet!). When exercising regularly (like in your living room, etc...) it is likely your shoes that are the problem, or the way your foot is hitting the floor. Again, new shoes or make it a point to pay attention to your toes and see if they are moving when you exercise. "We have a tendency to move the whole front of our foot but not our toes while exercising, which causes a cut-off in your circulation." Hope this helps!
  • austxdreamin
    Options
    I agreee on changing out your shoes. I went to only a running shoe; all mesh no leather! The mesh at least allows your foot to move a little more than the hard leather. And when I can, I workout barefooted!

Here is another option...They might look crazy...but they can do what lace-up shoes can't...let your toes move!!

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/womens_footwear.htm
  • dalscruf
    dalscruf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's all about the SHOES! :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it and have a place near you that does it, go have your shoes professionally fitted. Then don't lace them up too tight. The problem for most people is that the shoes are too tight or too small. We women have a tendency to want to pick a smaller shoe size, so we're the worst for this happening to during exercise. I had to go up a shoe size when I had my feet professionally sized. Haven't had the numbness on the bike, etc. since. :wink:
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, but only on the elliptical. I'm pretty sure it has to do with my stride and how I move (or don't move) my feet while on it. It helps a bit if I remember to not fully extend my leg (always leave the knee bent just a bit). It's definitely not my shoes. Other than in the gym I always wear sandals; I can't stand shoes touching the tops of my toes, let alone pressing on them.
  • Kjohnson2387
    Kjohnson2387 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too have this same problem on the elliptical machine. But then I loosened up my laces and it almost subsided completely.. now on the stationary bike I get it too, but I think it's from being on it too long. LOL
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I get this too and started loosening my laces, but now I feel like my feet are sliding out.