Exercise only small part in weight loss?

Options
Really? Is this true? I did not know that. So it's basically determined on how your eating?

Replies

• lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Exercise definitely helps transform your body, but you need to eat good healthy food to fuel your body to burn off the fat and build muscle. You could workout 2 hours or more a day, but eat junk and not lose weight, or workout and eat healthy food within a good calorie range and lose weight and tone.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    They say its like 80% what you eat and 10% exercise.
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    They say its like 80% what you eat and 10% exercise.

What's the other 10%?
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Yep, I mean, if I exercised a little every day, say like an hour, but ate like someone (say a pro athlete) of course I would gain weight.....You really have to be mindful of what goes in♥
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The other 10% is genetics.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The other 10% is genetics.

I agree. I feel it's like 30% exercise, 10% genetics 60% what/ how much you eat.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Exercise may be only 10% for weight loss, BUT IMO it is about 60% for having a healthy body. Putting in all of the work to lose weight and cut calories is not as important as actually coming away with a healthier body and a longer life expectancy.
  • austxdreamin
    Options
    While I have seen people just reduce calories and lose weight...I wouldn't recommend it. I lost 60 pounds prior to joining MFP thanks to reduced calories and working out. If the health benefits of working out don't spur you to continue, use the workout to help keep that body in check. With weight loss comes loose skin...working out is a great way to help reduce that!!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is because I might have to take a week or two off from working out and im paranoid that im gonna gain weight :(
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I lost over 20lbs before before I factored in an exercise routine. It was along process!!

This time round I have factored in my exercise from the start.

8 weeks in and 11lbs shifted so I am happy with my progress...
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is because I might have to take a week or two off from working out and im paranoid that im gonna gain weight :(

Maybe you can do mild exercise? Like taking walks? I maintained for a long time with walking 30 mins or less a day as my only exercise.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    While I have seen people just reduce calories and lose weight...I wouldn't recommend it. I lost 60 pounds prior to joining MFP thanks to reduced calories and working out. If the health benefits of working out don't spur you to continue, use the workout to help keep that body in check. With weight loss comes loose skin...working out is a great way to help reduce that!!

I lost around 30lbs about 5 years ago....I started having panic attacks and could not eat, so I lost it in a really unhealthy way. I looked awful! No exercise involved, so it was muscle and fat. I of course put some of it back on over the years following, since I got my mental health under control. I have now lost down to the exact weight I was at that time, and I am 100% healthier. I exercise 5-6 days a week, and look leaner and healthy (not sickly and emaciated like I did before). I feel so much better doing it this way, and I know I will not put it back on again...this is a life long commitment to exercise and eating well.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i can vouch for this...when i first joined the gym i would workout for a hour and a half or so, 5 days a week, and i wasnt seeing any results. Then i realized DUH i have to change the way i eat too, so with the workout and watchin sizes, ive been averaging about a pound a week.
  • tdexter
    tdexter Posts: 15
    Options
    I find 10% hard to believe. I have MFP set to 2lbs a week loss for the deficit. Since the beginning of Jan '11 I have dropped 38 lbs (13 before MFP) that's just over 3lbs a week. I rarely eat back my exercise cals so the extra pound has to be down to exercise or at least the deficit it creates.
    I guess it's going to come down to how much exercise you do and how many of those cals you eat back.